High Tide Aquatics

Sudden Torch Death

Iodine seems to work reasonably well
As a treatment for brown jelly ?

I use iodine when i frag or dip coral but never used it as a treatment
how would you go about doing that in a separate tanks or ....
I also test and add iodine as needed in the display but the display rarely needs it as it gets it with the water changes

So, my largest torch developed this brown balloon looking mass on it... not sure if it's brown jelly disease or just tissue death that fosters bacterial growth like nems do when they die off... In my rush out the door, I blew off the mass with a turkey baster.

probably a big mistake. some of the stinging cells stuck to my clam's mantle that I then had to get off. Thinking that was the last of it I left the tank alone over night. Went to look at things this morning an my digi was enveloped in a similar brown mass... that spread to another cyphastrea next to it. Well... the digi is now bleached white...and likely pretty dead. and the part that the brown gunk touched on the cyphastrea is pretty much bleached too.

Any ideas what that brown stuff might be? think it's bacterial mass as I suspect?

Sorry to hear about this! I made the same mistake with brown jelly and powerhead. Turn off all powerheads first. Then take the coral out of your tank and in to a container with your tank water. Gently turkey baste the brown jelly off the coral. I dipped in another container of tank water with iodine and gently turkey basted. This happened on a yuma mushroom and it survived. ymmv.

Thanks will try doing an iodine dip... was hoping to avoid taking it off the rocks. But looks like gotta do what i gotta do.

Whay concentration worked for you for the dip?

Unfortunately I am no scientist and everything was hastily done when I first noticed the blob on my yuma. The brown jelly looked exactly like the brown jelly I saw on my purple hammers. I used a 16 oz deli cup filling 3/4 full of tank water and maybe 5-6 drops of iodine. I cannot say with any real certainty that this was the cure but my yuma is currently still with me. I have not seen any sign of brown jelly since.

I didn't get a chance to dip yesterday and today, losing another head.

Just had to take drastic measures and cut off the branch with the dying heads, which also has a good one. Soaking in iodine right now... let's hope i can save the rest of the colony... would suck to lose 5 more heads

I didn't get a chance to dip yesterday and today, losing another head.

Just had to take drastic measures and cut off the branch with the dying heads, which also has a good one. Soaking in iodine right now... let's hope i can save the rest of the colony... would suck to lose 5 more heads
How did it go with the cutting?

Back