Cali Kid Corals

Suggest replacement for Sedra 3500

mray2660

Supporting Member
We are setting up a 120 that we picked up. Today when I am trying to set up the skimmer w sedra 3500 pump, the pump stalled. I took it a part and could not remove the impeller. I have it soaking in vinegar. Is there a suggested replacement or is this good pump that may be I just need to replace the impeller assembly?

Mike

I've been debating on using a Sicce pump on the ER Skimmers for quite some time now, I just don't want to spend money on something that would not work properly; I'm hunting on a deal but a really good one on a used pump. If you can't get the impeller out don't trash the pump yet, I've deal with a few of those PITA pumps and got the impeller out but a new one had to be bought. This is the reason I dislike ER skimmers.
Reef Dynamics would be like Euro Reef

Most likely it is your impeller and not the pump, Sedra NW magnets tend to swell up with age and need replacement every couple of years.

If you want to get the impeller out take a screwdriver and insert it through the return hole wedge it under the NW and pry the impeller out, you may need some needle nosed pliers to grab the impeller once you've pulled it out of the housing a bit.

Jeremy

Thanks for the way to get the impeller out. I have been struggling with getting it out. It is really wedged in.

Mike

Worst case scenario is I pulled the ceramic shaft out and drove a screw in, then levered the impeller out. Used a flat piece of wood with a hole drilled large enough for the head of the screw to pass through then used a hammer to pull it out, same way as pulling a nail.

Yeah, to follow up with what Jeremy is saying, sometimes they can really expand and get stuck for good, since you're going to need to replace the impeller (and probably the ceramic shaft that will break trying to get it out) I would go with a no nonsense approach use plyers anything to grab it and yank it out, no sense trying to save it at this point.

A quick google for sedra impeller got this

http://www.aquacave.com/impeller-assemblies-for-sedra-brneedle-wheel-water-pumps-1787.html

(and a few other hits, I'm not promoting this company)

sfsuphysics said:
A quick google for sedra impeller got this

http://www.aquacave.com/impeller-assemblies-for-sedra-brneedle-wheel-water-pumps-1787.html

(and a few other hits, I'm not promoting this company)

Thanks for the link are there any local LFS that may have assembly as I am trying to get the system setup

Mike

Replaced the pump with new one. Generates a lot bubbles. What is reasonable time for generation of micro bubbles to end for used skimmer?

Mike

No I could not get the impeller out of the old pump. New pump consisted of everything new venturi, impeller, etc.

Hopefully the microbubbles will end soon.

Mike

Back