Suggestions for group buys

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by Thales, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Thales

Thales Past President

Hey Everyone,

If you are going to put together a group buy, here are some suggestions to make everyones life more betterer. :D :

• Please check with club sponsors and LFS's for the item you are interested in group buying. They are often more than willing to help out, and they do much for the club so it is nice to give them first crack a supplying the items for a group buy.
    • Determine the price, shipping price (if any) and payment options right from the beginning.
    • Try to determine the ship date (if any) and the method of distribution at the beginning.
    • Nicholas (crazzy reefer) started keeping an excel sheet, which he posted to threads as the group buy grew. This seems to be a great way for everyone involved to keep track of what they have ordered and how much it costs.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please post them in this thread and I will include them in the list above.

Thanks!

2. badpacket

badpacket Guest

Would it make sense to identify in a GB thread what LFS were contacted. That way we can keep track and insure LFS are contacted, and those who may have not been contacted are able to offer to support one?

And, any chance of seeing if any of our sponsors want a forum of their own?

3. Thales

Thales Past President

That would be great if people did that.

The BOD was just discussing giving sponsors forums. As with everything, there are pros and cons.

:D

4. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

How about asking our sponsors for a Bar discount?

5. Thales

Thales Past President

We are talking about that. :D

6. bareefers

bareefers BOD

last time I asked sponcers about pricing most didnt return my calls, but the ones that did had a 900% mark up from my pricing .... now I dont want to step on their toes, but I acually buy way below some of the company that sponcer us. Price isnt everything granted, but they didnt also offer service either, and it was as if they thought they would be doing me a great favor. I have own many companys in the past, I run a group buy the same way. I have learned that buying is the easy part, expencive corals are only 10.00 per colony and fish are 2-5 dollars. I do not wish to open the flood gates and hurt the LFS but I dont buy brown zoos for 75.00 either. Since I do a lot of the buys, how do I not step on their toes? I dont go in to the stores asking for a discount on a piece of coral, if I pay them its full price. if I think im being over charged I dont buy it.

as for items, filter socks and carbon might be next in line for me.

7. Thales

Thales Past President

There are several LFS that have expressed interested in helping any way they can. I think there are way to encourage them to give a better price for group buys - like distributing the items at their store. Asking an LFS to do something they have never done before is going to take more than a phone call.

8. bareefers

bareefers BOD

actually one told me that I would have to pick up the full order and distribute it, they would not distribute it,it would be easier for me if they held it in their store and tanks, if you know of a local store around me that is willing to do this please let me know. It more over that they never handled palletized loads, and they only know their vendors, these vendors are middle men that soak up profit. I believe it would be great if a LFS could do this, and they too would receive the same pricing, they could also sell it to their customers as a loss leader if they choose. so far all I hear is yes we want the business, but nothing proactive. I do not have the authority to bargain with our sponsors. if we have a forum board I can place it on there and they can if they choose give me pricing. other than this it is up to the BOD to consult with the sponsors of BAR.

9. Thales

Thales Past President

I have some concerns that what you are doing goes beyond the idea of a group buy. Are you going to be at the meeting tomorrow?

10. bareefers

bareefers BOD

not sure at the present time

11. bookfish

bookfish Guest

Nicholas, you know I am perfectly aware of all the logistics involved in group buys and that I know what a loss leader is. You also know I would be happy to promote the clubs' group buys in any way I can, short of overloading our systems and risking our store livestock. Since we may be able to work together on this I would love to talk to you sometime. -Jim
    ps. the XXL green bubble was sold, didn't hear back from you and eventually took an offer from another customer.