Neptune Aquatics

Suggestions for places to hold meetings

We WERE looking for places for general meetings... But sometimes threads meander off topic.

I agree with you, Gresham, the outdoors & general meetings don't mix, which is why I suggested that Fishme plan an outdoor get together independent from the general meetings that the BAR BOD plans. I mistakenly thought that suggesting he plan a picnic that is not an authorized BAR event would make it clear that this was not an official event / club general meeting. Mea culpa.

For those that want an deeper explanation of why...

Over the years, BAR and other clubs have tried to have outdoor swaps because they allow for more people and require less planning. AKAIK every time this was tried there was mass death of corals which was typically attributed to heat. Since our club's mission is about ethical husbandry and propagation, having events in a way that is known to cause mass death is suboptimal. ;) It also sucks when you finally get the coral you've been waiting for only to have it die from forces beyond your control. :D

Also, as Gresham pointed out, our club run general meetings tend to have speakers (usually with slides) which doesn't work well in full sunlight and potential breezy days.

The bottom line is that general club meetings don't work well outdoors. However, since this club has such a diverse, interesting, and friendly group of reefers many of us like to chat / visit / spend quality time with each other. That's why events like APON's tank tours are typically so well attended.

If Fishme, or anyone else wants to invite the club to get together for any purpose I say GO FOR IT!

BTW, G - Thanks for keeping me direct on this. I sometimes tend to redirect people instead of confronting them with all the gory details of why their idea is not going to work. Often its a good thing, sometimes it isn't. Historical information like this is important to keep in the club for future generations so we don't needlessly make the same mistakes over and over again.

Now, when's the picnic? :D

Cheers!

Count me in when it gets sunny. I'd love to see Jonathan's place :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5494.msg76948#msg76948 date=1232994428]
Count me in when it gets sunny. I'd love to see Jonathan's place :)
[/quote]

We could certainly plan a non-swap meeting at RTC, but to be honest swapping there would work too since we have lots of indoor AND outdoor space. We've got space in a seminar room that is almost never in use on the weekends for 30+ people (crammed in, but we'd fit), or for large crowds can seat ~200 (but that room needs much advance planning because it is often booked by paying customers). We've got a great space for a BBQ. And, we've got plenty of indoor space for corals too, so heat really isn't that big of an issue. Actually, our outdoor space has plenty of "cool" water since we have running water from SF Bay that we can use to cool down tanks that are held outside.

I plan to be at the swap Feb 14 (even tho I'm not eligible to swap...) so hope to talk with some of the BOD about this then. I had really intended to attend the last 2 meetings but had emergencies come up both times, one that had me out of the country for about 10 days.

Hey Charles I was talking to Justin and if guys wanted to hold it our store on Sundays that would be fine. I know there is not as much room as others places, but its a thought. I can open the parking lot next door and everyone could park in there.

Back