High Tide Aquatics

Sump/Fuge Question

I'm so excited, I scored a Trigger Ruby 36 for $215 shipped and Coral Reefer is helping me install it. My question..my current sump has a fuge with sand and rubble, and it's been in there since I set the tank up over a year ago.

Replace the sand with miracle mud, or move the sand into the new sump? Also, I've never seeded the fuge with pods...should I do that with the new one?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Bruce. I have some ordered for my school tank as well. I presume just put the Marine Pure and the rubble in the fuge. Do i need to seed it with pods

Thanks Bruce. I have some ordered for my school tank as well. I presume just put the Marine Pure and the rubble in the fuge. Do i need to seed it with pods
It’s not a requirement. Pods will naturally populate but if you want to jump start it then it’s not a bad idea.

and possibly aiptasia... always QT your stuff! You don't need to do a massive 6week qt or something, but stick it in a tank with a light over it and see if you catch any aiptasia opening up.

I read some where that Marine Pure may leach something into water? There is another brand (dont remember its mame) that might be better).

I am thinking what to do too.

I read some where that Marine Pure may leach something into water? There is another brand (dont remember its mame) that might be better).

I am thinking what to do too.

It has been proven that aluminum does leach from Marine Pure. BRS did a test proving so.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...brstv-investigates.307515/page-4#post-3814988

The real question is how much aluminum is actually toxic to the livestock we maintain in our reef tanks. That answer has never been truly answered as far as I know. However, check out this thread that has input from Randy Holmes-Farley.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aluminium-best-way-to-lower-it.290509/

He indicated that he saw issues with leathers and shrooms at concentrations of aluminum at 500+ ug/l. He also indicated that SPS was less susceptible to aluminum than leathers or shrooms.

Back