Cali Kid Corals

Sun Coral, any info?

Picked this piece up tonight, straight out of the shipping box at Aquarium Concepts. It looked like a nice colony. It's got about 38 heads. Some large some small. What advice can you guys give me on it? It hasn't opened, but litteraly just put it in the tank.

25225_383237009060_842179060_3637865_1037645_n.jpg

I was told I need to spot feed it mysis shrimp 2x's a week. And when I do so to put a container over it so each head can get food without having shrimp and fish stealing it.

Non-photosynthetic, so you NEED to feed it.

Typically won't open its polyps in the "daylight" easy way to "trick it" is to put it under a shelf or something such that it's shaded, then it might have the polyps open all the time for feeding, and if you're really clever have some flow that goes through it such that when you feed your tank (fish etc) the food goes near it and it can grab it.

Nice pretty coral, however a pain to keep IMO just because you need to feed it.

well right now 2xs a week if thats all it is doesnt seem bad if I can use a 3 liter bottle and just squirt mysis in the top , but we'll see. I've always really liked the look of them, just been scared to try. But for the price of this piece I couldnt pass it up.

It took about 1.5 weeks for mine to come out. It only comes out at night. I tried to train it but got lazy. I feed pe mysis twice a week with tweezers. Put it close enough and the tentacles will grab it.

Feeding it 2x's a week will keep it alive but if you want it to thrive and grow I recommend 4-5 time a week. I took a 2 liter bottle and cut it about 1/3 of the way from the top. I then cut some holes in the side to allow for flow through the container.

Would be kind of cool to try a combination of Mike and Brian's ideas and make a cave that has flow through it and also a small hole at the top where you could insert a tube for target feeding.

any meaty smaller particulate feed is fine for it. I find stuff smaller then mysis best for them as you can cover more polyps with the same bio-load addition as the mysis.

Back