Kessil

SunBrite LEDs

I was looking at the SunBrite display at a LFS this weekend when the sales person came over and started giving me the spiel. He was preaching to the choir as LEDs is the way I’m planning to go. Then he said something that shocked me. I was under the impression that LEDs last approx 5 years….he says the SunBrites are rated for 15 years. Is this correct?
-Gregory

What store was this at? Exotic in Sac? That is the first I have heard of a unit being rated for more then 5 years????

SunBrite will be at BAYAMC, ask them in person yourself :)

The new design of sunbrites are much nicer than the gen 1 prototype. I added a 72" 440nm to my tank as they are the only option in a 72" version as I can not wait for my actinics to come on now :D

If you could mount what you did, you can mount the two RB. You can connect them together using a bolt with one side having a reverse thread (what ever those are called).

GreshamH said:
If you could mount what you did, you can mount the two RB. You can connect them together using a bolt with one side having a reverse thread (what ever those are called).

I think they are slightly wider than the one I picked up for about 1/3rd the price ;)

Less prices comes at a cost and I hate skimping on my lighting.

To date I haven't found any other LED actinics I like as much as the RB's. The bell curve foudn with the RB is much nice then the straight 440nm, 420nm, etc.

I think 15 years life span is a bit too unrealistic expectation. The LED themselves will probably lasts that long. The supporting electronics is what usually fails. And, like all electronics, I am happy if it last 3 years. This is the basic guideline that I tell all my LED suppliers....price your LED products so that the return of investment is realised over 3 years, not 5.

As for RB over PC....that's a no brainer....I'd go with RB any day of the week. You'll also cut down on the heat dramatically as well over PC!

But sticking them in a hood with PC's is a big no no. Too much heat and since RB don't have active cooling, the life span will be effected.

GreshamH said:

To date I haven't found any other LED actinics I like as much as the RB's. The bell curve foudn with the RB is much nice then the straight 440nm, 420nm, etc.

Who said anything about skimping? ;) This light was not trying to replace anything, but just to try something new. No way was I going to pay $500 to try something new...I need that extra money for the vendors at BAYMAC :)

Gresham, do you know what edison LED they are using in the RB? I'd be curious as to what "curve" it is. IIRC, Edison gets their dies from Cree on the high powered LEDs.

I don't know about the RB's, but I did hear that the sunbrites are using edison and phillips as there blue LED's and cree as their whites.

Gomer said:
Gresham, do you know what edison LED they are using in the RB? I'd be curious as to what "curve" it is. IIRC, Edison gets their dies from Cree on the high powered LEDs.

special ones, don't know the # sorry. Ask Joy Saturday.

mpoletti said:
GreshamH said:

Who said anything about skimping? ;) This light was not trying to replace anything, but just to try something new. No way was I going to pay $500 to try something new...I need that extra money for the vendors at BAYMAC :)

Could have asked me to borrow mine ;) I'm a sucker that way :lol:

Back