High Tide Aquatics

Sunlight on nano

The nano is now getting a couple hours of direct sunlight on the LPS and zoas. The sun is coming through a lathe on the patio so it’s not really intense and moves about in the tank. Almost everything is getting between approx 10 and 15 min of direct sun. So far heat hasn’t been an issue, but it’s early in the year…..

Is the sunlight an issue? Should I be cutting back on the T5s lights so the corals don’t get overexposed? Not worry?

-Gregory

You might want to put some temporary window tinting on the window.
Eliminate IR in particular.

My guess - algae growth is the only real concern.

Yes, aglae growth had appeared in what was a spotless tank! I moved some hermits from the DT to combat it.

Tinting the window might not be a bad idea.

-Gregory

A_Lee said:
I wouldn't worry too much, if at all, about sunlight coming through a window and hitting your tank.
Ever have a reef tank get sunlight? If you have any nutrients at all, you almost always see algal blooms. It can also heat little nano tanks up very quickly. In short its no recommended.

GreshamH said:
A_Lee said:
I wouldn't worry too much, if at all, about sunlight coming through a window and hitting your tank.
Ever have a reef tank get sunlight? If you have any nutrients at all, you almost always see algal blooms. It can also heat little nano tanks up very quickly. In short its no recommended.

I've had nanos next to windows, yes. My current nano is not far from a window. Tank probably gets 3-4 hours of sunlight a day. I don't have issues with temperature, though I can see this being a severe in really small tanks or in rooms with higher ambient temperatures. Can't say I get much nuisance algal growth oddly enough; though I'm not complaining :D

In general I very much agree though -placement away from a window or direct sunlight is recommended, though not everyone is able to do so.

Back