Kessil

Super-quiet skimmer recommendations?

It's an expensive purchase. I would run it by him just in case. Would suck if it turns out to be too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 200 is more than big enough for your system. You won't regret this purchase!
It is an amazing skimmer. + You get bragging rights!
We want pictures once it comes in!!!

The 200 is more than big enough for your system. You won't regret this purchase!
It is an amazing skimmer. + You get bragging rights!
We want pictures once it comes in!!!
Yes, I am not so worried. It is a bigger than my current skimmer by a bit, which was ok, and likely more efficient as well.

One of the big problems with skimmer recommendations is that they tend to be based on medium to light loads, and then their definition of what is "medium" could different than what you have. I have 4 tangs, a foxface and 2 clowns in nearly 300 gallons of water, is that a light load? at what point does it become a "medium" load?

But I think you should be fine with the skimmer unless you dump insane amounts of food into the tank.

I just checked out Sang's bk mini 180 on rc, and I couldn't walk away from it. My current skimmer is oversized for my tank (bubble magus curve d9) and it never produces dark skin mate. Lots of gunk gets trapped in the neck. So hopefully this bk mini 180 is more appropriately sized and does a better job for my 140g system. I think I'm heavily stocked for my tank size and have been considering removing a one of my three tangs as they get bigger.

BK's tank size recommendations are for display size and are usually very conservative.

@Gablami I think you will be on the lower end of its range but should be ok. Might not skim as dry as you may like but it's a good skimmer.

So I msg's with slief, heavily stocked for bk skimmers is estimated at 0.5in/gallon of fish. My tank is 110g and I'm currently at about 45 inches, and they have room to grow and I might add a few more. So even though it's a bit oversized for my tank, I think it'll be better than what I have and I don't think I'll find a better deal. Any one interested in a bubble magus curve D9? Rated for 225-375g.

My new bk mini 180 has been working about 1 week. I think it still needed a break in period since I was getting mini bubbles and it wasn't skimming great initially. It has improved over the last few days and is now giving me darker skimmate. True to what everyone says, bk is conservative in their tank estimates. Just like @vhuang said, I have to run my skimmate a bit wet and it is not consistent in foam production. However, the tank has room to grow and I'm still really happy with the purchase. Now onto my real question:

Also pick up aquadriver neck cleaner :)

Besides the official bk self cleaning head, which is mind-blowingly expensive, it seems there are three options out there for auto neck cleaning: avast marine swabbie, vertex universal sch, and aquadriver. Any others? Any thoughts on these options?

We should send an email to BRS on asking them to do an episode on noise levels of skimmers (and pumps) using some official measurement with a decibel meter.

Received mine!
Breaking it in / cleaning in a bin of fresh water with a bit of vinegar.
Nice. Very quiet. Great build quality. Crappy setup instructions.
Oddly, I think the body on my old skimmer was a bit larger.
I will post pics on my main build thread later.

My new bk mini 180 has been working about 1 week. I think it still needed a break in period since I was getting mini bubbles and it wasn't skimming great initially. It has improved over the last few days and is now giving me darker skimmate. True to what everyone says, bk is conservative in their tank estimates. Just like @vhuang said, I have to run my skimmate a bit wet and it is not consistent in foam production. However, the tank has room to grow and I'm still really happy with the purchase. Now onto my real question:

Besides the official bk self cleaning head, which is mind-blowingly expensive, it seems there are three options out there for auto neck cleaning: avast marine swabbie, vertex universal sch, and aquadriver. Any others? Any thoughts on these options?

I think the aquadriver helix is the best. It's working great on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Skimz 203 with the DC pump is fairly quiet. It's quieter than the AquaC EV-120 I was running, but those tend to be loud. The Skimz air intake has a sort of muffler on it which works quite well, maybe that's all you really need?

Like what kind of noise are you getting? Air sucking? Pump humming? Water sloshing?

I think skimmers tend to have more air noise than pump noise. I mean, try covering the air intake with your thumb and see if it's quieter, if so, maybe you just need to DIY a simple air muffler?

V

I think the aquadriver helix is the best. It's working great on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you have the bk mini 180? I'm guessing that mean I would buy the 180mm aquadriver helix. Did you get the optional wash down ring as well?

We should send an email to BRS on asking them to do an episode on noise levels of skimmers (and pumps) using some official measurement with a decibel meter.

I've used quite a few skimmers and while most are quiet, nothing is like a BK with an RD3. It's literally silent. Not super quiet or 'like' silent, it IS silent.

Only noise I get from it is when the cup is full and I have bubbles coming out of the vent holes and they pop.

But everything is relative, I do have water noise in my sump and it may be drowning out whatever little noise the skimmer may be making.

Back