Reef nutrition

Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 Cone Skimmer Pump Humming a lot

boun11

Supporting Member
I bought the Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 Cone Skimmer in December and set it up in January. The pump is noticeably loud and hum a lot. I can hear the pump in the other room. Has anyone experience this? I thought the pump suppose to be almost silent. Any idea of lowering the sound of the pump is greatly appreciate. Thanks for looking!

Is it sitting directly on the sump floor with no foam? Touching anything?

GreshamH said:
Is it sitting directly on the sump floor with no foam? Touching anything?

When Ian and I made the sump we didn't account for the water level so I raised it up so the skimmer would skim properly. I made a stand for the skimmer and the stand has a silicone tubing under it. The stand and the pump is not touching anything. I wonder if I have a defected one.

I heard they can take a while to calm down, or am I thinking of another skimmer?

GreshamH said:
I heard they can take a while to calm down, or am I thinking of another skimmer?

I hope so. Since the back of my stand is wide open I'm thinking about blocking it with some Styrofoam board and then put some Styrofoam board under the sump to keep some padding. Plus my wife doesn't like noises from the tank.

You need to isolate the pump from the tank. I would put some neoprene of a mouse pad under it.

Is it just as noisy without the stand? The stand can contribute to the noise, so eliminate the stand by running sans-stand.

+1 on neoprene pads.

Sidenote: I've been eyeing the super Octo reefs - mainly for the pump. So, I'm interested in your opinions.

That looks like a bubble blaster 2000 or 3000.
They are supposed to be quite good ( I don't know if it's good and quiet though)
I have the sicce pumps and it took about 6 weeks to quiet down.
I would email the mfg co. and tell them your problem.

sid700 said:
Is it just as noisy without the stand? The stand can contribute to the noise, so eliminate the stand by running sans-stand.

+1 on neoprene pads.

Sidenote: I've been eyeing the super Octo reefs - mainly for the pump. So, I'm interested in your opinions.

Even without the stand, the pump was humming. The stand is in there because Ian and I build the baffle too high. The water level is too high for the skimmer to skims properly. By side the humming sound, it skims really well. It takes out a lot of junk out of the water. Since my stand has opening in the back I'm thinking of closing it with a Styrofoam board and see if that helps. I'm also thinking of putting the Styrofoam board under the sump too to add extra padding. I need to find a used neoprene pads.

Ibn said:
Just stick the styrofoam that you have in the garage underneath the sump...

yup... that was the original plan.. should have ask you to help me when you were here this afternoon.. hahahah JK. I'll get Ian to help me ;)

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if the pump is still loud, or if all is well now.
And if you have any new thoughts.

I am considering the reef octopus 3000 with that bubble blaster pump.

rygh said:
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if the pump is still loud, or if all is well now.
And if you have any new thoughts.

I am considering the reef octopus 3000 with that bubble blaster pump.

The humming seems to go away but there is still slight vibration inside the sump. I did not put a Styrofoam under the sump. Overall, I like the skimmer. I think you will be happy with it.

Back