Surviving Mr.D

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by ofzakaria, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ofzakaria

ofzakaria Supporting Member

Yeh it's not cheap. I believe now they have it at 499. I think it will drop more by time for sure. It already dropped from 699 to 499.. it's still the cheapest than any other option considering its stand alone and do not require you to buy anything else.

Honestly having a successful tank do not necessarily require fancy equipment as long as you are diligent. These equipment automate tasks thats all.

Also when it come to kh, my write up is more relate to sps tanks with sensitive coral and with balanced systems like zeovit in mind.

Depend on your system you might be ok testing kh/ca once a week.
    One day I will do a write up about zeovit as its intricate system and can be annoying at times how balanced it need to be. But I love it out of all what I have tried in the past.

What am trying to say is, we should scale up or down with our systems demand and not make things more complicated than it needs to be. If you do not carry sensitive coral. If you are not running funcky systems that requir certain balance you do not have to be too stringent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Supporting Member

I keep a mixed reef and trying to keep every kind of coral, anemone and clam happy gets me to the point of pulling my hair out.

3. grizfyrfyter

I'm more interested in the trend of consumption because I am a gear junky and always feel starved for information on what's actually going on in the tank.

ofzakaria likes this.
  4. ofzakaria

Btw sent you a PM on the chat room.

5. ofzakaria

That's exactly what I had fun with when I used the khg. Learning the consumption trends especially while experimenting with new things like lights, salinity levels, parameters level dosing elements...etc.

grizfyrfyter likes this.
  6. glee

glee BOD

Have you tried running your lights 24hrs to see ph stability and kh consumption patterns?

7. ofzakaria

No never done that. Not sure what will be the value of such test..we cannot run photo period 24 hours anyway:))

I think While ph is higher during light on, lights are not the only factor for ph.
    I use co2 scrubber to balance out my ph. My ph range during a full day is 8-8.3 which I think is acceptable. Down to ph value of 7.8 is good in my openion..

8. grizfyrfyter

Are you referring to refugium lights?

9. ofzakaria

I used to have H380 on my refugium that ran at night. But I took it out since zeovit do not do well with fugs.
    That being said I do have a DIY chaeto reactor with LED light that am planning to run.
    Here is what I have experienced, fug light will smother out ph drop at night a bit but it was never enough to flatten it...during day ph is higher again because ph is not only impacted by light but also by the habitat activites and states.

10. ofzakaria

Got my first Triton test today. All in all it loom good.
    Need to reduce po4: which is expected since the system is barely 3 months old
    Need increase iodine a bit.
    Need to reduce Al and barium. Usually rowphos doe the trick on reducing both al and ba nicely. But I need to be careful with rowphos not to drop po4 to zero as it's very effective and can shock the system with sudden reduction of po4.
    Usually I use it tactically for couple of days then remove it. This does the trick

I shared the report for anyone who would like to take a look.

https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/54208/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  11. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

I wonder what is causing the Al and Ba to be so high.

12. ofzakaria

For the Al I have dealt with it in the past and found diffrent sources to
    1- marinepure: this 5hing was evil. When I used it I had ton of issues then I started doing Triton tests based experiments and realized it leach Al, BA and other harmful material.
    2- zeolites do leach al if shaken rigorously
    3- some salt mixes have shown to have al
    4- metal that is exposed to the water.. I have had issues with some pumps, clamps, even once my vortech wet side had a crack I did not notice that caused the metal shaft to rust.
    5- and finally many of the gfo material other than the rowaphos.

Usually removing Al can be done via rowaphos and thats what I will do. But first I will look for the source and make sure it's not something inside my system for some reason. Will update you all once I finish my hunt.

13. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I have multiple marine pure in my tank and no noticable ai in ICP tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. ofzakaria

Oh man.....I have proven that it leached al and silica and ba 2 years ago..it was aweful.
    That was in my system back then though..
    I even took the blocks off my system, soaked it for 4 weeks in separate saltwater container with power head running then sent a water sample to Triton of before and after..after contained silica, al, ba and other...

They might changed by now cause I remember at that time so many people including randy Holmes engaged with them showing the issue.
    I also remember they first said no way, then they said it's a bad batch then they said it will not happen again. So maybe they straighten their act...

15. ofzakaria

Oh one more thing. To be fair I am not sure if it leach all the time or eventually it stop doing so where later on with water changes you 3nd up not seeing al..

16. ofzakaria

Some of the sps are coloring up nicely compared to couple of weeks back.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

glee and grizfyrfyter like this.
  17. ofzakaria

Some Fish shots..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

glee and grizfyrfyter like this.
  18. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

So why s copper Band?

19. ofzakaria

I like them and they are good aiptasia control. Feeding them can be a challenge but this little guy eat frozen like a pig...

20. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

You have aiptasia or just an in case?

Eugene likes this.