Surviving Mr.D

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by ofzakaria, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

But what if you need to take a 2 weeks vacation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. ofzakaria

ofzakaria Supporting Member

Wcen without a zeovit..for 2 weeks u need someone to maintain the tank for you...
    What I have realized is that it's the same regardless

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

My tank just needs someone to feed Nori every couple days while I'm gone. Everything else is taken care of. Someone has to feed the cats anyhow so putting 5 pieces of Nori on a clip where they don't even get their hands wet is a piece of cake.

I would be hesitant to take care of your system for two weeks while you were on vacation.

ofzakaria likes this.
  4. ofzakaria

Funny thing is I actually travel alot...and I mean alot.
    I have an awesome guy take care of my system when am out. I think its 3ven easier than other systems cause everything is on auto pilot u just need to dose without thinking.
    Dosing some drops day and some drops night is easy guys..its way easy

grizfyrfyter likes this.
  5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

Never tried to automate the dosing?

6. ofzakaria

I did and I am.
    Alk, ca, zs,mag are automated.
    Alk testing is automated via khg.
    Rest I do them myself cause its drops count.

7. ofzakaria

Seeing some users discuss dino which reminded me of the time when I thought that 100% what I was dealing with is dino only yo discover it was actually cyano and diatom. So I thought of sharing my experience:
    Contrary to what some think, Dinoflagellates is not an algae or bacteria like cyano, its protists. Treaying algae is by starving it from food, treating bacteria is with anti biotic, but treating protists is not easy task.
    Dino is what's referred to as red tied that have cursed some beaches in Florida and other regions. Dinoflagellates in large numbers can be poisonous, and in aquaria when they hit aquarium, they can poison the coral especially when they die in large numbers. That's why treating dino should be done with care.

It's almost impossible to be sure when you suspect dino unleas you take a look under the microscope..
    Some of the common characteristics of the dino are: they show up during photo period and disappear at night, its brown stringy snot like that can float in the water column. It show up everywhere not like cyano where it show up on sand. And low flow area mainly..

For refrence
    Here are 2 pictures, first 2 are dino, the other 2 are cyano.

Also in case of dino you see these small things moving and bumping each other as shows in these YouTube vids:

During research I came across one possible way to identify without scope-but I still think only scope give you the 100% assurance-
    Identification without scope:

To identify dinoflagellates you'll need to siphon some algae into a container preferably with a lid or cap. After filling up the container shake the water up vigorously to break up the algae. Then filter the water through a paper towel or filter sock, the water should be rather clear. Leave the water exposed to ambient light in this container for 30-120 minutes. In my experience dinoflagellate algae will be the only type that aggregates back together quickly in the container

Dinoflagellates will disperse in the container completely after being shaken and will pass through the filter almost completely with only detritus remaining in the filter. Once the filtered water has been left sitting in ambient light for about an hour they will organize back together into their typical slimy appearance. Dinos seem to be the most neutrally buoyant of the three.

Cyanobacteria will typically stay matted together even after shaking the capped container vigorously with lots of small bits resembling torn paper. Most of the algae will be caught in the filter with the detritus but the filtered water will still be discolored. The algae will not organize back into colonies after an hour. The water tends to stay brown but sometimes the cyano settles on the bottom of the container. Cyano seems to be close to neutrally buoyant most of the time.

Diatoms will disperse much more than cyano when shaken vigorously into a brownish tint but sometimes tiny bits stay together like the cyano. Much more of the diatoms will pass the filter compared to the cyano. The diatoms will not reorganize after the filter and they tend to be more negatively buoyant than the cyano or dinos so they settle on the bottom of the container faster.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  8. ofzakaria

Dino have been shows to like silica. Aquariums that have high content of silica along with high po4 tend to be prone to dino. But my understanding is that dino comes to you by infection. Meaning, unlike cyano where it's there alwayes and show up with the right condition, dino come when you add an infected water or coral from an infected aquarium.

9. ofzakaria

For treatments there are couple of approaches that I have heared work.
    It involve covering the tank for 3 days no light, increase no3 if the system is UNLS, scrubbing the dino off water, sand, rocks during eater changes.
    Personally I have helped reefers in the past with 2 diffrent methods both of which worked.

The first method was chemical. It's my preferred method but hard to get by. I use a product I buy from Germany called phycoex. This product have worked for me very well. But expensive. I always keep a bottle at hand for emergencies.

The 2nd method was a combination of:
    1- 3 days dark period. And I mean pitch dark, wrap the tank such that no light pass to the tank
    2- dose zs, zz,bm and zf I do that to increase the no3 and po4 in the system since these are zeo systems with ULNS.
    3- increase ph to above 8.2
    4- aggressive siphoning of the dino
    5- daily zb dosing to outcompete the dino by the bacteria. I even have seen cyano can take over the dino, treating cyano is easier btw..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. ofzakaria

New acanthophyllia and nice purple acro colony.
    System doing well. Po4 dropped to 0.085ppm. My target is 0.05ppm.
    No3 is still bit high at 0.5ppm, target is 0.25ppm.
    Kh 7
    Ca 450.
    Still weekly water change. Will switch to biweekly when I hit the parameters target.

Been struggling a bit with the hydra 52 hds. Fixtures are overheating in my canopy and once that happen the led turn off for some time then on.
    Very disappointing that the thermal performance of these fixtures are bad compared to what am used to with the old hydras or compared to the kessils ap700.
    Spectrum still very good.
    Working on couple of solutions to address the thermal issue in the LED.

Oh the bubble kind Double cone is working super good. Love the perfomance. Now am comfortable de commissioning the bubble kind mini that I have.
    I might keep it for emergencies or might sell it later on.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    glee likes this.
  11. ofzakaria

Oh I added this little guy, nice personality and fun to watch..[​IMG]

glee likes this.
  12. glee

glee BOD

Does this fish flash? How's the clam doing?

13. ofzakaria

Not that I have noticed. I forgot what is it I just liked how it looked lol.
    Clam is doing well. I think it will survive.[​IMG]

14. Coral reefer

Looks like a tile fish
    How sealed up is your canopy?
    I’d rather have a light shut down than burn out!

ofzakaria likes this.
  15. ofzakaria

Agreed but disappointing performance nevertheless. The same setup hosted my ap700s without a problem.
    AI cheaper out on the heat sink...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  16. Coral reefer

So how sealed up is the canopy?

17. ofzakaria

Not that sealed. Its compelty open from the back, 4 doors on the front.
    AI CS asked to drill holes in the canopy...I was shocked when he gave me this simple stupid solution..
    I need to circulate air around the fixtures so I will experiment and see what give me better air circulation.
    Problem is: nothing lile heatsinks and 8ts fan on a product that is more effective off cooling off the product, I speak from experince. So there is a simple conclusion that hydra 52 HD not handling the thermal well. Irony is, we need to dial down the power to help with thermal which defeat the purpose of the HD in the hydra HD...what a shame...
    I might switch to radions and get done with the while thing.

18. Coral reefer

Few too many typos for me in the middle there...
    I assume the fans in the fixtures are running? Maybe just a simple fan blowing across them would help? I’ve only really used the 26s, and never come anywhere near maxing them out. What are your settings like?

19. ofzakaria

Lol yeh sorry my phone auto correct, and my quick writing I do not read back.
    So please do not trouble yourself with my posts and its typos. Thanks

20. ofzakaria

Small update, last week I started rowaphose 3 hours on 3 hours off. rowaphos is very effective and can drain po4 very quick so am using it carefully given my po4 is low already.
    My po4 dropped nicely to 0.05ppm. Now will move the rowaphose from reactor to Passive use in a bag.
    When I used it I had a bit of bacterial bloom which suprised me. I talked to the company in UK and they told me the rowaphose contain iron which attract bacteria and increase the population ad more bacteria use the media surface, eventually the bloom should go away so am not concerned much about it...
    On live stock front I picked up a nice purple with blue tips acro and an aussie acanthophyllia.

Also ordered an amazing rainbow Trachyphyllia from Neptune I cannot wait to pick it up...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Coral reefer likes this.