got ethical husbandry?

Swayds Big Boy Reef

So it begins!
I finally had the cash in hand and found a great deal on a large reef. So I present to you my new Oceanic 144 gallon reef. This tank is a dream come true for me, as I have been wanting to upgrade for a while now. I sold off the old 60 cube and 40B and transferred all of my livestock to this beast!

My Plans:
SPS dominant
LPS on the bottom
Zoas on the lower scape and as space fillers
Upgrade my skimmer
Find an Apex system for cheap LOL
2 part dosing in the near future
20-25 fish eventually

Here we go!
48"L x 24"W x 29"H
30G sump
2 x 250w heaters
1 x Jebao RW-8
1 x Jebao wp25
1 x Tunze 6045
1 x Vortec mp10
DC9000 Return pump
Aqua Euro USA 250 skimmer
2 x Ocean Revive T247 LED lights
BARE BOTTOM no substrate

Livestock
1 Sailfin tang
1 Kole tang
2 Percula clownfish
1 Damsel
1 Flame Angel
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Algae Blenny
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Coral
12 Acropora frags
18 Different zoas (over 200 polyps in all)
1 chalice
5 Montipora
7 LPS
1 Toadstool

I cant wait until I have the aquascape finished and it starts to fill in. This tank will be very diverse and will contain all sorts of life forms! I want to keep this tank simple and will still only be performing 20g water changes weekly with a 5g waterchange randomly during the week. I will eventually be running a dosing system and also an Apex system as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430769206.291170.jpg

My lovely Fiancé with the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well she doesnt look upset so it must mean she approves the new tank.

Lol looking forward to the new tank journal.

I want to see those zoassss :eek:

She actually likes the tank more than I do lol.
The Zoas are all over but I have this really nice combo Rock I'll take pics of. I also have two big rocks that filled in from 2 polyp frags to colonies of 100+ lol I will probably let those go soon. Here are some frag rack picks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430769716.992886.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430769731.195344.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430769740.296711.jpg

More pics tonight.

Yeah I have done some digging and the most successful tanks I've been looking at have had huge amounts of fish. My skimmer is rated for up to 250 gallons and that beast skims so I'm not too worried about bio load being an issue. Honestly I don't know what other fish to put in other than some anthias so I might not even get to 20 fish lol.
I had the mp10 on 1/2" acrylic so I'm hoping it works. If not I'll have to put it up for sale lol.

Wellll the club has a par meter if you're ever interested in finding out. Just ask and you can borrow it.

Hey, the last picture of the zoa/palys, are those space monsters? I've been looking for some real space monsters.

Also @650-IS350 , I have some king midas you can have if you want. In San Mateo.

Thanks!

I bought them as space monsters from Aqua exotic years ago but they lost their green skirt That's the colony I might end up selling as a whole.

Going to glue a bunch of stuff in place today. Then put all of the stuff I don't want on my frag rack for pictures to sell to make some cash for more coral hehe. Or trade of course.

I like to trade :) but dont forget to save something for the regional frag swap.

Im planning on having an awesome regional frag swap in september with bonus rounds!

I like to trade :) but dont forget to save something for the regional frag swap.

Im planning on having an awesome regional frag swap in september with bonus rounds!
Awesome. Hopefully I can get my hands on some "designer" Zoas and acros for the swap.
Let me know man. I know you were interested in those "space monsters".

Back