Cali Kid Corals

Swayds Big Boy Reef

Really? Dude these things grow like freakin weeds for me. Not gonna lie, they do look pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright so I bought this cheap eBay waterproof case for my phone and, well you tell me how these came out. No filters or editing and didn't focus or zoom on anything. Oh and this is with blues and whites on.
View attachment 2920
View attachment 2921
View attachment 2922
View attachment 2924
View attachment 2925

Not kraks or Hall', they resembled those aussie palys that where coming out over a year or so ago, wild picks that resembled Pink Elelphants so people started selling them as that, hell even Tyree put his name on it and called it pink elephant. But hard to tell with OPs picture, need more white light to see true color of polyps.

They grew like weeds for me as well, some melted for no reason, some lost in tank crash during moves.

I think if you google, pink elephants you'll see the different variants. Don't get me wrong, they're really nice good sized paly's. Mine LOVED light.

GAH!
Just checked calcium and alk! NO BUENO!
Calcium is at 360.
Alkalinity is at 6dkh.

I don't even have 1/5 of the acros I want in there. Seems to me like it's time for a dosing pump and some 2 part from BRS hehe.
Just when I thought I was going to be able to afford that IM Nuvo Mini 40 smh!

Alright, I tried kalk for a couple of days and that was not working, alk actually seemd to drop lower for some reason! So I got myself some B Ionic 2 part. Dosed last night and will test today in the evening. I will probably be dosing early in the mornings as I have read that it is best before lights turn on. Will be looking in to a Jebao doser when I get paid lol.

And just for documentations sake, I dosed 30ml of both parts.

Magnesium keeps your alk and calcium stable. Make sure it's at the appropriate level.

When dosing 2 part alk and calcium, I dose them separately. Meaning I don't dose alk and calcium at the same time because they could react with each other.

Swayd I'm also researching the Jebao Doser. It looks okay for being the cheapest doser on the market.

FYI: Jebao just finished and released Version 2.0 of the Jebao doser where they claimed they made it more accurate.

Man you are on it!!!
Yeah my mag seems to be pretty stable it's just the alk and cal I've had problems with it might be the reef crystals I've been using because it leaves a residue in my mixing container. I'll test Mag again tonight to see where it's at. Thanks.
Yes, that's the reason why and honestly I've not had any problems with their products. I use two power heads and a return pump and all are working great.

I've read that some come with dead sections. I think @wpeterson has a Jebao doser with 1 dead head. Maybe someone else in BAR had the same issue too.

I'm starting to do research on dosers right now too. Seems the DOS is good but $$$. I like the integration to APEX but I can get almost 3 4 head Jebao dosers for 1 DOS!

Having said that, I'm still on the fence about a DOS vs others. The integration/data logging through APEX is REALLY convenient and I like to be able to see what my eq is doing. If Jebao comes out with a module that hooks up to APEX, they would have a winner on their hands I think.

I'm not on a controller so I'm not biased to any of the connectivity. DOS is super expensive and I wouldn't want to spend that much on it.
I am going to buy the jebao regardless and if it craps out on me I'll use it as a water change system lol. As long as it does the job for a while I'm happy.

If you have the money the bubble magnus and vertex libra and both good pumps.

I heard the bubble magnus is good but very loud when it doses. Not okay for my living room.

Im pretty sure ill end up buying the jebao after some people review version 2.0

I bought a cheap Jebao for $75 but two of the four dosing heads didn't work. I set it up about a month ago dosing Calc/Alk and it's worked out really well. You can hear it running but I don't think it's too loud (dosing alk every two hours now).

I just bought another DP-4 because I want to dose Magnesium as well. I'll be selling the two head one on the forums for cheap if someone is interested in trying one.

Sorry to hear that didnt work out for you man!
Let me know how much you want for it. I only need two heads at the moment anyway!

So probably about to get alk burn just when my coral were looking great! My smart butt put in about 50ml of alk and 35ml of calcium. I was busy talking with the fiancé and instead of pouring one measuring cup with 30ml of each part I poured two 30ml cups of alk and didn't realize it until I was 20ml in to the second cup!
Had to leave the house but will probably do a water change if I have enough water when I get home.
This is why I need a doser.

If you want a super reliable doser, I'd recommend the GHL Profilux. Mine never skipped a beat in 7 years, whereas the cheap unbranded one (essentially a bubble magus, but without the brand sticker) stuck on twice - not good for the corals when that happens!

Back