Jestersix

Swayds Big Boy Reef

Alright, so its been rough lately. It all started with an acro I lost that was extremely nice and then I noticedd that all of my wild acros just started to fade away and some even died. My AC unit crapped out and as a result my temp went up to 87 for a few days. Now that I have a new AC unit temp is back to normal, and its not that my tank runs hot its just hot as heck in Livermore. So some of my SPS are starting to heal and I still have one wild acro hanging in there.

On another note, I am starting to get nervous about my tank having some bubbles in the front seams, so I have come to the conclusion that I will ditching this tank as soon as funds allow it. I will keep all the equipment, livestock and stand. I will only be getting a new tank, I want to get a new aqueon 120g 48'X24"X24" as it will fit my stand perfectly! Cant wait for the frag swap, as I have a couple ponapes and wows laying around ready to swap!

Damn sorry to hear about your ac disaster, that really blows. Did the tank temperature actually hit 87???? Must have been even hotter in your house then. What was the temperature inside? 100?? How did YOU survive? :eek:We don't have AC so temperature is a constant concern for us although we're fortunate to live in San Mateo which is definitely cooler but I've had my tank hit 84 before. Did you lose anything other then the acros?

Damn sorry to hear about your ac disaster, that really blows. Did the tank temperature actually hit 87???? Must have been even hotter in your house then. What was the temperature inside? 100?? How did YOU survive? :eek:We don't have AC so temperature is a constant concern for us although we're fortunate to live in San Mateo which is definitely cooler but I've had my tank hit 84 before. Did you lose anything other then the acros?
Its all good, its part of the game lol. It was extremely hot inside the house and there was nothing we could do, except stay out of the house and come home late in the afternoon when it was cool lol. I only lost 3 acros, 2 colonies and 1 frag. Everything else just got mad, duncans are just now starting to open, ponape colony lost a lot of color, acans look like crap and lost tissue, one chalice looks crappy but the zoas were as happy as can be lol.

I really think it's not smart to have a tank in those conditions without a chiller. Probably too got for an evaporation fan to do much, but have you tried?
It sucks losing things, but I wouldn't be cool with someone keeping a dog in a house that was way way too hot...

I really think it's not smart to have a tank in those conditions without a chiller. Probably too got for an evaporation fan to do much, but have you tried?
It sucks losing things, but I wouldn't be cool with someone keeping a dog in a house that was way way too hot...

I don't see it that way. I wouldn't want to buy a chiller for a few days out of the year when a heat wave passes. My temp usually stays pretty low as I run a very low tech reef and don't have much equipment. The fan only brought it down 1-2 degrees so it wasn't effective. I just figured if there was no real way for me to bring the temp down and keep it down I mine as well let it stay high until I could control it.
Losing things is never fun but is a part of reefing. Not being cool with someone who has a pet in a hot environment is like saying people who live in areas that get over 90 shouldn't have dogs lol. Either way my dog and 90% of my coral survived, I just hope this new AC doesn't crap out any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Best to plan for things if you can.
My point about a dog is that you wouldn't just not plan ahead and let it get too hot and die, I think the same shoukd go for the tank

I suppose one can prepare for any situation but then we would probably never leave home (lol) . My current set up includes a chiller (ran halides prior to leds) , all kinds of back up equipment (power sources , pumps for both flow and recirculation) and you know what.........crap still goes wrong. We do all we can to make our reef tanks bullet proof but things happen.

A/C goes out , power outages , even equipment failure in your tank can bring everything to a halt.

Swayed , sorry to hear about your tank running hot , If you really want peace of mind in regards to the heat in your tank then I would suggest running a chiller if running halides or t5's. Since I switched over to leds ....my tank does not get warm enough to trigger it on ( that's with the a/c running in the house of course) .

Sergio

I suppose one can prepare for any situation but then we would probably never leave home (lol) . My current set up includes a chiller (ran halides prior to leds) , all kinds of back up equipment (power sources , pumps for both flow and recirculation) and you know what.........crap still goes wrong. We do all we can to make our reef tanks bullet proof but things happen.

A/C goes out , power outages , even equipment failure in your tank can bring everything to a halt.

Swayed , sorry to hear about your tank running hot , If you really want peace of mind in regards to the heat in your tank then I would suggest running a chiller if running halides or t5's. Since I switched over to leds ....my tank does not get warm enough to trigger it on ( that's with the a/c running in the house of course) .

Sergio
Thanks for the advice. I run LEDs and my tank doesn't run hot unless it's over 95 outside. On an average 75-80 degree day my tank would would only get up to 73degrees without the heater lol. So I would say my tank runs pretty cold. Like you said no matter how prepared you are crap will still go wrong. You just have to deal with it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too true. I'm just saying to be as prepared as you can. Think of the money a chiller will cost as money you don't spend replacing lost corals. I got a couple used ones laying around if you need

Back