Cali Kid Corals

Sweet Drop Off/L-shaped Reef Tank

Matt_Wandell

Supporting Member
Honorary Supporting Member
This topic came up at the tank tour so I thought some folks might like to see these two tanks...what a cool concept and great looking tanks!

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/the-drop-off-lps-reef-of-mariusz/

drop-off-lps-reef.jpg

grosjean-reef-wall.jpg

I've seen that before, although could never find very much information about it or more to the point many pictures! :D

Very sweet design though, one of the few cases where a rock wall makes sense, in fact I really like fact that the rock transitions straight down into the lower part. I'm curious if this would setup different habitats for various fish to dwell in, or if they'd just swim all over the place.

Wow! I can just imagine if that tank strected out another foot or two on the deeper end. That would make a damn awsome scape scene.....Not that how it is doesnt already. Thanks for sharing!

Matt, do you have photos of your wall tank at the Steinhart? Can you post some or is it off limits to show the goods? I like that your wall tank is a side wall to give great depth like the see through deep portion of this split level tank.

This picture was actually taken around 2-3 months ago. Since then I started adding a lot more PhytoFeast. The yellow sponge in the front left corner has grown by leaps and bounds and I just noticed it when looking at this pic!

Yes, very nice. Thanks Matt. Are there several new branching corals added since this photo? Placing the black one well back in the tank just makes me stare more to see all the detail.

Hey Rich, yeah there are a few branching gorgonians since that photo too. Not terribly happy with the progress of 2 of them but the Diodogorgia (red base, white polyps) is doing really well and growing growing growing...I see new polyps at the tips every week.

Back