High Tide Aquatics

Tangs question

I have a standard 120g (4x2x2) that has one 5" Desjardini sailfin, one 2" yellow eye kole tang, one 3 inch yellow tang, one anthias, three chromis, 2 damsel and one 2.5" maroon, they all happy together even though they bum into each other once in a while.
I had been waiting for an used Purple tang and love to add to my collection and see a member in this club selling one.

Do you think i have to much fish or tang in the tank? Should I add the purple tang (4 inch)? what is the best way to introduce the purple tang?
In the worse case scenario, how can I stop the fight between them (if happen)?

The sailfin is of the genus Zebrasoma, and purple tangs have been known to be aggressive to other Zebrasomas.
A 120G is not that big of a tank for many tangs anyway. Your current tangs seem pretty small yet.

I would really suggest you do more research first, before picking one up.

To stop the fighting, you usually end up needing to remove one.

+1 to what Mark said, the sailfin, yellow and purple more likely than not will be at odds with each other. I have a yellow and a purple currently separate that will eventually go into a 375 gallon tank and I'm hoping that's enough space. Unfortunately the yellow is larger so it worries me a bit with the much more expensive purple who's maybe half the size.

That said, I do think you have too much fish for that tank, mostly the three tangs you already have and you want to add a fourth. Doesn't matter than the other two are fairly small they will get bigger (or bullied to death).

Worst case scenario, you need to fish some fish out and put them in a sump.

Tang Police!
Without reading further than first sentence, no more fish for you!
The existing fish will be very angry with you if you add Mike's purple tang.
If you want more fish, get a bigger tank.
Your fish will thank you

I speak from experience. I've had most available tangs in my time, some for many years. If you love your fish...less is more.

Thank you for all comments this is the reason why I joint this club for help and comment like this. My goal is to keep the purple tang and will either take out the yellow or the sailfin or maybe both if they don't get along. By the way, I will set up another 40g this summer and hope they will get along until the 40g ready.

40g tank for the tangs? That's too small for 1 tang for any length of time beyond a quarantine period.

Erin: FYI, it's not my purple tang, mine is staying mine, and will be getting some large digs soon :D

A 40gal tank is good for a tang (any species) if it s about the size of a quarter, doesn't get fed well to keep it small and even then not for more than 3 months ;)

So nly if you want the purple, I recommend a larger tang for all of your tangs.
You and they will be much happier.

Good luck

Back