Reef nutrition

tank building club

I'm a new poster here on BAR. My name is Dave, and I live in El Cerrito.

I'm debating building 2 identical acrylic tanks (60"x24"x16"). My problem is that I don't have a tablesaw big enough to cut the pieces my design calls for. I've made little overflows and bozes and even a small sump once on my little contractor's tablesaw but nothing like what I want to cut now.

I've got a decent set of tools (clamps, router, glue, etc...)

Anybody ever get together to build tanks and sumps? Sure it's bold, but what the hell, sounds like fun. And a good way to meet some new people and learn some tricks. Anybody out there into this sort of challenge?

dave

If you have a table big enough to hold the pieces, use a router with a small cutting bit to do all your cutting, it'll definately take longer, but if you slap down a guide rail you should get a cut as straight as any table saw cut, and if you go slow enough (without burning) you should get it cleaner.

Most people use a router to clean up their edges with acrylic. I do two 1/16" passes and keep all rough cuts to over 1/4" of size needed.

Is it hard to rip a 4' wide panel in half with a router?

I could build a custom table with smooth top, just would have to get the fence real straight.

thanks
dave

It's not terribly hard as long as there's support on both sides so the ripped piece doesn't snap off should be no issues, just have to use the right bit.

Rough cut with a skilsaw and a good plastic blade so the chips clear and don't melt into the kerf. Then clean up with a carbide edge flush trim router bit.

Yeah another question is how much waste is acceptable? Are you expecting to cut a 4 foot wide section into 2 2 foot wide sections? because you might want to plan for atleast a half inch of waste/trim product you're going to use up from both sides.

thanks, got a hit on cutting the sheets on a big saw, will clean up with router.

Got the math all figured out - remember not all MFG 4' wide sheets are 4' wide...

They are in acrylic most the time. Actually, I have never seen one sold as 4' being wider then 4'.

Polycast comes in bigger sizes. Cyro is (and always has been) more along the advertised size. Just a little tidbit of info...

Thanks. Probably be able to post something in 2-3 weeks. Or faster if I can't control myself!

Been a little out of the loop with a new baby girl!!

Earlier in the post I was trolling for larger tablesaw time. After about 12 months periodically trolling Craigslist I finally found a good deal. The tablesaw was wired for 220 (but could easily be rewired for 110). Since I wanted some 220 for my garage setup anyway I left the tablesaw on the side and installed a new subpanel. That work was just completed. I was planning on this a little later in the system build, but I think this is going to work out better (facilities ready before equipment install!!)

Now I can run my soon-to-be new setup off that feed. But before I can run it, I'm back to having to cut my panels. They're sitting in the garage, and they won't be big sheets past the weekend!

Back