Cali Kid Corals

Tank help Please

I just cover the bottom of the cap for about a gallon. Sounds like it's time for either a syringe or RODI.
I was thinking yesterday about my DSB, wether it could be the source of my problem. It hasn't been disturbed any more than normal, though. It is about 6-8 yrs old with nothing done to it. It's between 3and 4 inches. Sound possible?

Jim, what is the TDS reading where you are?

I am rethinking water changes as well as top off for my tanks. San Francisco will at least be experiencing a 25% increase in water costs very very soon.

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2308.msg23360#msg23360 date=1187199840]
Prime is 2 drops per gallon.
[/quote]

Yep. 1ml is roughly 20 drops. 2 drops = .1 mil.

[quote author=patchin link=topic=2308.msg23257#msg23257 date=1187041803]
My tank temp is normally 78-79. And, yes, I use the cheapo sg measurer thingy.
[/quote]

Patchin, if you are using the cheap sg to measure your salinity then I would bet that your saliniy is much higher than 1.025.

Also your cal is too high compare to your alk and thus PH problem.

Mushrooms are very hard to kill and high salinity doesnt kill them, but low ph will

on the other hand Xenia will dies fast when salinity is high so I think you have a combination of problems.

Reccomendation: check your salinity with a refractometer(make salinity adjustment if necessary), don't add anymore calcium until it drops down to about 420, if you are using a cal reactor then you probably want to slow down the drop rate (this also lower ph), do weekly small water changes, add lots of carbon because of the die off, and make sure your skimmer is clean and working overtime. You should see an improvement in a couple of weeks.

Good news!! Things are improving in our tank. Got the skimmer working by raising the water level in it. Have dumped it once since Tues evening. Added charcoal. Most polyps on corals are extended. Also changed out PC bulbs in fixture, halide is only a few months old. Still need to buy good(Elos) test kit, but trying not to pay through the nose for them. Any advice, since I missed the group buy?

I don't add CA. Level maintained by aragonite sand bed.

Everyone, thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Do be careful when changing bulbs out even pc's as it can shock corals as well and cause them to stress out the same would go for adding/upgrading additional lighting e.g metal halides.

Which kits in genreral were you looking for?

Phosphate and Nitrate kits are an excellent choice and Elos kits are good, but to be fair so are the Salifert kits. I like the Elos kits for Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium where I'm looking for for specific values and how far I'm off by.

My test kit is older than the hills, so I need all new. I was thinking of CA, NO3, ALK, and ph. You mention phosphate. Is that as high a priority as these others? I missed the group buy, so where would you purchase them. I haven't really seen them online. AC is expensive,right?
Although he normally matches prices if I could find cheaper ones.
Thanks

AC's prices are above msrp.

Try AG (Aquatic Gallery) for pricing. Elos does not sell via online and as far as I know have no plans on selling online.

Phosphates and Nitrates can contribute to algae issues. Salifert and Elos kits are going to be spendy $20 to $30 each is not uncommon.

You may have to call Aquatic Gallery, I recall them being a Bay Area reseller.

You can also call Jesse of ELOSUSA (you can find his work number on RC) and find out who else is a reseller in the area. Believe it or not Jesse will pick up and answer all any questions you may have on ELOS products.

I have no affiliation with them just like the products and his customer service.

UPDATE!
Tank is much improved. Ordered Elos test kits from Jesse. What a good guy. AC will no longer carry them, so as far as I know, Jesse might be the only source. He's willing to ship directly to people.
Will be buying ph monitor shortly. Snoozed on an opportunity for a refractometer on cl. Phong's skimmer is working well. Thanks Phong
It was a trying week, but I only lost the Christmas favia, mushrooms(we really didn't want),some small blue cloves from DBTC and possibly our pulsating xenia(may be regrowing).
Everything else, thankfully, seems OK.

Cool... Goodluck with your tank. Hopefully you won't have any more problem but then you wouldn't have any more fun after that :D

Sounds like things are improving. One thing to keep in mind is that it's easy to get caught up in chasing the "perfect" parameters. However, most tanks, given good,consistent husbandry (feeding, water changes, flow and lighting) will balance out to a healthy point by themselves. For example, many healthy reef tanks can run relatively low on PH while the corals thrive. The tendency to constantly tweak a system with additives, new equipment etc... has a destabilizing effect overall and corals love stability. If you change anything about a corals care you should really give it at least a month to gauge the reaction. People who change things in their systems or their maintenance routines often, never really get to see what worked or didn't before rushing on the next quick fix. They will never know that they got it "right" many times!
What I would advise is that you continue to allow the tank to settle down to its own balance. Large frequent water changes with good quality water, keeping the skimmer clean (big fun!) and maybe weekly use of high grade carbon. Use the test kits to understand the baseline, healthy status of YOUR tank instead of going out and buying something to make your tank fit an idealized model.

Back