High Tide Aquatics

Tank Journal

My ears were burning.
Nice little thread you have going.
Tank looks killer.
I'm kinda bummed right now because I thought the Giants were going to come from behind and get the Padres tonight.
Dang!

JAR said:
My ears were burning.
Nice little thread you have going.
Tank looks killer.
I'm kinda bummed right now because I thought the Giants were going to come from behind and get the Padres tonight.
Dang!

Thanks Jon - For only being in the hobby a little over a year (I think..)and more serious only in 2010, I guess it can do. After seeing a lot of your guys' tanks - Already dreaming about skipping a few levels and building THE ONE. Btw, is that a huge lingcod or is it just the camera angle??? Looks like a 4ft 50lb+

You know - as a Giants fan, disappointment is nothing new..unfortunately. But think about how much better this game was compared to a game where Zito pitches 8 innings of 4 hit ball, gives up one run...and get the ND or the loss because our bullpen served it to them on a silver plate. :(( THOSE games are murder. Or Lince going 8 1/3 and getting the loss. Such good starting pitching...Ok. I'm done.

iCon said:
You know - as a Giants fan, disappointment is nothing new..unfortunately. But think about how much better this game was compared to a game where Zito pitches 8 innings of 4 hit ball, gives up one run...and get the ND or the loss because our bullpen served it to them on a silver plate. :(( THOSE games are TORTURE. Or Lince going 8 1/3 and getting the loss. Such good starting pitching...Ok. I'm done.

fixed

Ling was about 40" 30lbs!

As it turns out, one of the 8 settings on the digital timer was set to turn on at 0:00 and off at -:--.... This meant the thing was on for about 5 hours...Gah. Completely --------- mistake. Oh well. Nothing in the tank looks stressed and I actually think the corals look better than usual. The dKH has been about that high since 5am this morning and since nothing seemed visually wrong as of 10 minutes ago, I'm deciding to just leave it and let the Alk come down on it's own. I'm under the assumption that I would have seen some sign of stress in either the corals or the fish if it were about to wipe everything out. Fingers crossed...

A real light bulb went on when I saw these great pics. My new Panasonic camera is waterproof to 30 feet and I've yet to use it under the water of my tank. All this time I've been shooting through the glass. Well, I'm gonna play now! Must have had a brain hick-up to not think of it. Great shots of a very nice looking bunch of livestock! Great work and you get a gold star on your chart!

screebo said:
A real light bulb went on when I saw these great pics. My new Panasonic camera is waterproof to 30 feet and I've yet to use it under the water of my tank. All this time I've been shooting through the glass. Well, I'm gonna play now! Must have had a brain hick-up to not think of it. Great shots of a very nice looking bunch of livestock! Great work and you get a gold star on your chart!

If you go diving, remember waves will give a temp increase in water depth. If it's rater for 30, don't take it more then 15 :)

Those are collonista snails, not babies of something. Those are near if not, full size. Algal grazers.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

GreshamH said:
Those are collonista snails, not babies of something. Those are near if not, full size. Algal grazers.

Hmm...I just thought they hatched because I never noticed them before and then all of a sudden there are tons in my tank. "billions of them!" So they're not bad per say but are they considered pests?

have you read the article I posted? It talks about them in there :)

GreshamH said:
have you read the article I posted? It talks about them in there :)

Yeah, I actually read that last night after I posted. But...are they 'generally unwanted'? I mean, sure, they won't destroy your tank like AEFW or monti eating nudis (men?) but they could still be considered a pest...Couldn't they? =P Or are they an 'oh joy, I'm so glad I have them in my tank!' type of thing? Not sure what the consensus is.

... they are algal grazers. That's somethign you want, right? :) The only time they area pest is when they get stuck in powerheads.

GreshamH said:

from that article:

Collonista [Link 1, 2] (Figure 10)

Collonista are "mini-Turbo snails." They are seldom purchased by hobbyists, but are relatively common in reef tanks anyway, because they appear to hitchhike in on live rock or in some live sand. When hobbyists first see them, they presume them to be "baby" grazers of some sort. Instead, they have some of these animals. They reach a maximum adult size of about 1/4th inch (6 mm) in height and diameter. They are often tan to white and have mottled brown color patterns on the shell. They can be distinguished from all other Trochoideans by their small size and the presence of a small pit or hole in the center of the calcareous operculum that plugs the aperture. They reproduce well in aquaria, and are quite good grazers. If present in large numbers, they may effectively replace all other grazers in our systems.

Thanks Gresham:]

Just because they're algal grazers doesn't mean they're not pests =P Like pigeons for example, they're terrific garbage grazers/clean up people's messes things but damn, I consider them pests! Probably pushing that one a bit far but there was a pigeon sitting on a flag pole outside. Slow day at work.... ;)

Ok I get it - They're good for my tank. All naturrral. Perfectly normal reef inhabitants to the modern day aquarist. :D ............ :tired:

I service a 135 with out a cleaning crew, except for our little Collonista friends. The tank has halides and a bunch of fish yet I only have to wipe it down every two weeks and is still very clean when I do.

BTW, I use no Purigen or Chemi-pure on the tank.

Well I think this ID's something I've seen in my setup as well but wondered what the hell they were. I'll get out the loupe and take a better look.

Thanks

iCon said:
2. EARTHQUAKES. While I was gone there was a small one and well, that got me thinking. How to prepare for an earthquake. Obviously, there's no earthquake-proof fish tank but I'm sure there are things one can do that can help. Any ideas? I've heard horror stories of 200g in wall tanks completely breaking and would like to avoid that misfortune once I get a place where I can cut up the walls as I please. :D

Don't say that stuff!
It's like talking about a no hitter in the 7th inning or something.

JAR said:
iCon said:
2. EARTHQUAKES. While I was gone there was a small one and well, that got me thinking. How to prepare for an earthquake. Obviously, there's no earthquake-proof fish tank but I'm sure there are things one can do that can help. Any ideas? I've heard horror stories of 200g in wall tanks completely breaking and would like to avoid that misfortune once I get a place where I can cut up the walls as I please. :D

Don't say that stuff!
It's like talking about a no hitter in the 7th inning or something.

:X Well, I'd rather think about it before it happens than after = ... This is SF after all... Ideally I'd like to compile what everyone's learned about big tank stability and shakiness and create something 'resistant'... The big aluminum I-beam for example - Other ideas?

Hmm -- Journal updateything.. Things are settling in nicely :D Tank has reached a seemingly stable point for once. I was looking at pictures and it seems like I have a decent growth rate considering the crap I put my tank through. Namely, that green monti is now huge. Encrusting wires, other corals etc. I think it's time for a new pic...Maybe one of the new tank as well - My mini rendition of the future :)

It's been a while and I don't want to lose where my tank journal is so I'll toss up a post.

Quick thoughts:

1. VACATIONS. Returned from 2 back to back 5 day vacations with one day between and man, is it nerve-wracking! It's like what I imagine leaving a kid behind would be like. Geez. Procrastinated on setting up an ATO. Ended up doing it at 1am the night before my 8am flight. Well, it worked. Otherwise you'd be reading about a burnt out pump or a flood. Everything in the tank was a-ok. Though, one zoo frag fell off and went behind my rocks where I can't get to it. Oh well.

3. I CAN'T KEEP IT UP! My alkalinity, that is. I'm almost out of ESV 2 part and will be trying out the homemade recipes as some suggested. Stay tuned.

4. I left my fish to catch fish. Funny how that works. Total was 20/3 days. Not bad but not close to our record of 54/2 days. Here's a pic of the 2 big ones. Both about 20". Not bad for trout :D

So I borrowed my friend's underwater camera and here are the results! Well, some of them. First time messing with aquarium/underwater photography...fun ;)

Also set up auto-dosers yesterday...and something went really wrong. dKH just clocked in at 18...Uhh...SHHooT!? My feeling is that I can either do water changes right this instant, or let the dKH come down on its own. I don't think it's lethal to anything in my tank...and I don't notice anything visually wrong but I'm a little worried of a pH spike when the lights come on...

I know some of you like to see the DBTC stuff in the tank, so here ya go! DBTC stuff, new additions, other frags and fish!

Back