Neptune Aquatics

Tank moving advice needed...

Klems

Supporting Member
I need to move my 14g biocube and stand to the far edge of the living room (toward the front door) to make room for a new tank. What should be the steps to move it as it will need to stay in operation until the new tank is ready. Was thinking of removing about half of the water and then trying to slowly glide it over the carpet to its new spot. Will that work or will it still be too heavy and damage the stand / tank?

Attachments

• IMG_20170128_144844102.jpg
    IMG_20170128_144844102.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20170128_144852876.jpg
    IMG_20170128_144852876.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 197
1 gallon of water is about 8.6 pounds....so the saltwater probably weighs ~60lbs. I'd probably guess half full, everything probably weighs 90-100 lbs. Maybe if you got those furniture movers/sliders, it could work. Still pretty heavy in my opinion.

Last edited:
that's an easy move. Like @RandyC suggested, use those furniture sliders. It will glide across that carpet like on ice. I moved a 100 gal with over 200lbs of live rock plus stand with those furniture movers. All, I did was drain about 80% of the water into garbage cans, Slid the tank across the room, and refilled with same water. Easy peezy.

Cool, thanks everyone...Just wanted to make sure before I did something stupid and ruined the setup or the carpet.....

Main thing is not to disturb the sand too much and release a bunch of detritus. Siphoning a good amount of water will reduce sloshing, and when you put it back in, make sure it's going back in gently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you are very smooth with moving the tank. tanks tend to have a lot of stiction so you push it, and you push it and it's not moving them you reach some threshold and it moves and the water will slosh out! Once you get it moving/gliding over the carpet, don't stop until it's in the right position or it will slosh around a lot with every stop and start!

V

Back