Cali Kid Corals

:?: Tank sand

Seems to me with all of the building and construction supply shops in our area that there should be available a decent tank substrate alternative (similar to southdown) Since I myself am looking at about 200 - 250 pounds for our new tank, then a building supply would seem to be the cheapest/best place to go.

Does anyone have any good information of any such supply houses in our area and/or any info about what we should be looking for in terms of "safe" for our tank(s) ? Thanks in advance :)

Not going to happen. To construction supply shops sand is sand, and sand they can get that only has to travel a few miles is a whole helluva lot cheaper than sand that needs to travel 3000 miles.

While there is evidence that says that sands you can buy (home depot, lowes, etc) is safe for our tanks, you're not going to find cheap aragonite sand.

Because you don't know those stuff are safe to put in your tank or not. Isn't it cost a lot more if those stuff give you problem? Why not go BB and you don't have to spend a penny on sand?? :D

I agree about not knowing what is safe and what is not, which was why I would only put something "Verified" into our tank. That much is a given. I had mistakenly assumed that the above went without saying, but next time I will do the saying for those that need it :). If I can find a valid (valid meaning safe) substitue substrate and save money with it, then why spend the extra money needlessly ?

There are numerous reasons not to go BB, aesthetics being one and also several of our current tank inhabitants require a sand bottom.

Back