Tank sitter?

Discussion in 'Resources' started by OaklandReefer, Jul 24, 2014.

1. OaklandReefer

OaklandReefer Guest

Hi all,

I was curious if there would be anyone interested in watching my 135g tank when I am on vacation (dates TBD). I've had friends do it before, with not - so - great results. Ideally, an ongoing arrangement would be great -- I don't travel much. I'm willing to pay, of course, or trade and watch your tank when needed for feeding, general maintenance, etc.

I'm in Oakland, so the closer you are, the better. Let me know if you're interested or know someone that would be.

Thanks,

Matt

2. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Hi Matt I'm about 20 minutes away and I'm free for a couple of hours on weekends, in case you don't find someone close by.

OaklandReefer likes this.
  3. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

This is awesome. I need to make some reef friends near san mateo for when i go on vacation.

4. gaberosenfield

gaberosenfield Juvenile Chromis over an Acro in the Red Sea

I live in North Oakland, just west of Rockridge. I would be willing to tank sit for you depending upon how far away from me you live. Perhaps you could pay me in the form of frags or tank sitting for me in the future :)

PM me if you'd like me to do it!

OaklandReefer likes this.
  5. OaklandReefer

OaklandReefer Guest

Thanks so much for being willing to help. Sounds like I have a few people willing to help out. I'll reach out once I firm up my vacation plans!

Matt

6. lattehiatus

lattehiatus BOD

Matt, I am near Piedmont Ave and could assist with vacation tending.

The most common words to begin stories about tank catastrophies are: "I was on vacation..." Having experienced aquarists tend your tanks while you are away is one of the best informal benefits of being a member of any reefkeeping club.

7. Kara13

Kara13 Guest

I have a "I was on vacation" story. Never let friends stay at house and watch tank. I now have a great house sitter who also has a tank so understands it all.

8. neuro

neuro Webmaster

i have one story too. i even had a really good friend who got me into reefering, to watch it. he was great, but he couldn't travel the distance to my house in time.

it's always best to have one or two people nearby, who can at least understand tanks to take care of an emergency.

9. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Every time I have a neighbor or friend (non-reefer friend) watch the tank they wreck it with overfeeding, I mean one time I came back from a trip & there was a pile of flakes on my center brace after I repeated myself 10 times saying "just a pinch is enough, don't get carried away seriously just one pinch there is only 5 fish in here" and still gobs of fish food are missing from the containers every time.

My solution was to purchase those small pill containers that have 7 slots for 7 days of the week lol and I put just enough for each day in every container & fill only as many containers as the number of days I'm gone then I hide all the fish food & hand my friend the containers with specific instructions to "only empty one container per day if you use more than one you'll run out of food & kill my fish" haha that's the only thing that has worked for me.

Kara13 and Geneva like this.
  10. OaklandReefer

OaklandReefer Guest

Thanks @lattehiatus ! It'll be nice to be able to go on vacation without stressing about my tank the whole time. :)