Tank Spotlight #3 @apon

Discussion in 'Tank Spotlight Award' started by daddio, Sep 10, 2018.

1. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Tank Spotlight # 3 is @Apon

Kremis likes this.
  2. tankguy

tankguy BOD

I keep looking in the spot light but don’t see you. Step into the light

3. Apon

Apon Volunteer

:confused: Just got home from the drive back from Vegas last night at like 10pm. Was to tired to post yesterday sorry. I want to add a few pics of the stuff I brought back or I will just list the new fish additions I guess. Bob you already seen my simple tank setup in person....not much excitement coming.

tankguy likes this.
  4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

You were not even to my house until 10:15! No way you got home before 10:45 or 11. What a long day. Thanks for carrying back my frag.

5. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

I can't believe he didn't deliver my rock.

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

He said "screw bruce and His damn rock. You take it" so I did.

tankguy likes this.
  7. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

I think it's because he said "screw Bruce": in Vegas and I spurned him. He's taking it out on my rock.

Apon likes this.
  8. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Sherpa'ed both of your valuables back from LV. Drove the entire time while Arnold fell asleep at least a couple of times.

9. coral4me

coral4me Supporting Member

Take your time Arnold, include all the pics you want. Don’t let them rush you.

Apon likes this.
  10. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Yep - Eric is a driving machine....or he didn't want me driving his car? either way works in my favor.

Ashalye and tankguy like this.
  11. tankguy

tankguy BOD

Came home tonight with hopes of maybe seeing pics but no

12. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Apologies for the delay folks! but I now found some time to post. Also for the pictures below, I don't have a nice camera or skills for really nice pics. Everything was taken from my Galaxy S7.

For those who missed Spotlight Tank #2 of Matt and Asia's cool tank setup here is the link.
    http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/tank-spotlight-2-coral4me-matt-asia.22561/

I hate to disappoint everyone, but my tank is the opposite of most folks tanks - low tech and skimmer less, but more on that later.

Thanks to Matt and Asia to nominate my tank, which they have never seen in person I believe, but my tank needs alot of work before I can get it to where I want it to be. Hopefully someday I can get it close to the 2018 Neptune System's MACNA display tank.

Video

Picture attached below - double click to enlarge

Background on myself:

My name is Arnold for those who don't know me. I have been into fish tanks since I was in high school many years ago. I started trying saltwater in a 40 gallon Aquasystem tank, when I was in college and I was very disappointed that I lost many fish due to my lack of knowledge. While I was able able to keep a few damsels alive corals never did well for me.

After college, when I started working, I invested in books and started learning things from the internet. On one day I came across this club that seemed to meet over in the east bay called B.A.R.E (Bay Area Reef Enthusiast). I was excited to try to attend a meeting. When I showed up, it was a quiet dark room at a Wholesaler (ASAP) with only about 10 people in room. I was kinda of put off by the low attendance. However it turns out, that BARE had some falling out and the people left, were talking about starting a new club. I stayed and listened and decided to join anyways.:D

So it seems I was a founding member of BAR. Along with some others that are around today: Mike - sfsuphysics, Thales - Richard Ross, dswong - Dudely, and I think Capescuba - Dave (who recently returned to the club) to name of few. I guess its been like 15 years now?:eek: I was a BAR BOD member for the next 5 years as Sponsorship Director. Joining the club gave me a wealth of knowledge, I made some good friends, and it was great to finally talk to others who enjoyed the hobby as much as I do. Sometimes my other friends and family don't really understand how much time, effort, and cost it takes to do this.

Anyways, besides being on the BOD for a little while. I have organized a bunch side events ( 10 SF tank Tours, Store tours, Aquarium tours, etc...) for the club and I was even able to be a volunteer at the Steinhart Aquarium for a few years with Matt Wandell. This was all made possible by my connections made from the club. For those who say I win too many raffle prizes:cool:, I always felt it was karma paying me back for the work I did with the club. I recommend you all try it and participate and volunteer what/when you can so we can keep the club going. I have seen membership as high as 200 and as low as 20. Well, enough about me on to the tank.

Tank Info:

My tank is about 15 years old, but some of the live stock is older, that came from the 40 gallon starter I had.
    If you want to see some old photos of the tank here is my old thread
    http://www.bareefers.org/forum/thre...ion-shots-and-video-from-over-the-years.2291/

Mixed reef with lots of LPS, some SPS, Softies and clams -5 of them currently ( I did lose 1 last month, as you can see in the video but decide to leave the shell in there for now.

Tank-
    4x2x2 120g tenecor tank.- dual overflow -small unknown sump

Pumps
    Iwaki return pump returns 3 pipes into the tank.
    2 vortec MP40s pump for additional flow.

Lighting- all my lights are over 2-3 years so will probably need to replace soon
    2 Rapid LED Corona lights
    1 Kessil A350 wide
    1 Reefbrite 48" All blue led fixture
    3 Reefbrites 3 watt moonlights that I leave on all day long.

Filtration-
    No Skimmer (for past 13 years)- No filter sock - filtration is maintained by 5 gallon water changes once a week, 1 small bag of carbon, and a few clams. Basically the Skimmer pump died long ago, I didn't see and difference in the tank so I never replaced it. I like to say I have a skimmer, but don't use it.

Additional-
    A really old Aquasystem Aquacontroller 3 I use to monitor a few items - (This is now Neptune Systems, I have a classic Apex ready to go when this fails)
    I dose lime water twice a week ( 5 gallons drip in) and sometime some iodine
    A small fan to maintain temp
    a Calcium Reactor
    No Heater, No refug. No Cheato, that's it ....pretty simple setup, very lower tech.

Livestock-

It's a heavily stocked tank as you can see from the video and attached pics. I try to list most of the fish and inverts.
    1 Powder Blue Tang from Crabby
    1 Yellow Tang - 17 years old
    1 Onyx clown - 15 years (mate died last year)
    2 of Kimmie's clownfish from last swap
    over 14 Chromis
    3 Red Stripped Cardinals
    2 bangaii Cardinals
    1 six line wrasse
    1 small Blue Tang 3 inches
    1 File-fish that eats my aiptasia I had...thinking about loaning him out if others need him.

Just added from MACNA so I hope they make it
    1 Flame Angel
    2 Mocha clowns in holding
    2 Orange firefish (hiding)
    1 Dottyback

Corals - trying to keep hardier corals since I know my tank is dirtier than most other tanks around.
    Hammers
    Torches
    Several types of Gorganians
    Mushrooms
    Several Chalices
    Several Leather - included the Fiji Yellow you don't see much of anymore
    SPS - Purple tip Green Pocillopora
    SPS- Pink lemonade - darkend up in my tank

I think I wrote enough.....enjoy the attached pics and lmk if you have any questions.

Thankso_O

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    JVU, Wlachnit, Ashalye and 2 others like this.
  13. Apon

Apon Volunteer

More pics Gorg.jpg Yellow leather.jpg Gorg.jpg Yellow leather.jpg Cardinal.jpg center of tank.jpg Right side view Full Tank1.jpg Full tank show.jpg Clams.jpg Chromis clam.jpg Clown in Hammer.jpg

JVU, cdhappy, glee and 1 other person like this.
  14. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

You have a great looking tank. It was cool seeing it person on the Tank Tour.

Apon likes this.
  15. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

Very nice! Goes to prove you don't always have to run all the best equipment to keep fish and coral happy. I remember when the "Fiji yellows" were easy to find. But, now you never see them for sale. Let me know if you ever frag it. I would love a piece for my tank. Great job on the "tank spotlight" this month. I really look forward to seeing all the new tanks every month.

16. tankguy

tankguy BOD

Awesome Arnold

17. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Such a beautiful tank Arnold. It has such a great O.G. vibe going on.

cdhappy likes this.
  18. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Don't sell yourself short Arnold, no offense to Neptune, but that's a tank that was a "buy a tank" type of tank. Setup and stuffed with mature corals all over night (or maybe a couple nights), no way to know if that tank is actually sustainable, but yeah it sure looks good over 3 days before all the corals and fish go back to the respective stores (and Vincent). Your tank looks great, and has a track record of working for a long time.

19. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Great reef, thanks for sharing! I really like the gorgonians

Apon and ashburn2k like this.
  20. glee

glee BOD

I saw this tank many years ago during a tank tour and it still looks great today. Thanks for sharing Arnold and hope to see your tank again soon.

Apon likes this.