High Tide Aquatics

Tank stand center divider in the way for a large sump help

Dan

Looking for opinions on weather or not i should attempt to move a center divider in the middle of my 100 gallon tank stand so i can install a decent sized sump.

The center divider in my opinion doesn't seem to be supporting any weight of the tank. When i push on the divider it has some play in it telling me there isn't much if any weight on it coming from the tank. when i knock on the divider it has a hollow sound to it versus if it had weight sitting on it, would have a more solid/compressed sound. located above the divider i want to remove is a solid wood support running front of the tank to the back witch i believe is the real support preventing the somewhat flimsy divider from taking the support weight.

Since im not a expert stand maker im looking for opinions on weather or not it is safe to go ahead and remove the divider to make room for my sump.

i can always re support the center of the tank once the sump is installed if it turns out the divider supported more than i thought.

sumparea.jpg

U can reenforce corners or make a temp support to one side just wide enough to slide in sump... few ways to do it

The pictures don't telly tell how supportive center is lol

Stand looks like MDF to me, might get sagging over time. However, I would think you'd be fine if you screwed a beam on the underside of the top plate, especially if it also screwed into the sides.

I'm thinking a piece of aluminum angle cut so the the ends had tabs that were bent flat to the sides and screwed in. Might be smart to dab a bit of silicone on each screw as well to help avoid swelling if you ever drip. You could paint it black and you'd barely see it.

My biggest worry would be the chance of overtightening the screws, which would be really easy to do in that thin, fragile mdf.

Might even be stronger if you just used a piece of wood across the front edge and screwed into the real wood from the sides and down from the top, but then you'd see the screws. Also there is that whole "ok honey, pick up the tank while I put these screws in" thing.

It will be tough to take out to say the least.

I replaced the stand for my 120 because I didnt like it's construction., much easyer than fixing a bad design.

Course... mine was dry and empty..

I say don't touch that divider! That stand is made out of MDF (GLUE and SAWDUST) If you cut into it at all you will expose the unpainted and "sealed" portion. What if you put the sump on the side?

Safest would be to treat it like you do a load bearing wall in a house.
Put the replacement brace in FIRST, then cut out the rest.
Although from what you have said, sure seems like it is not load bearing.

Don't forget about earthquakes and kids falling / running into tank.
And to be honest, that stand does not look that strong to begin with.
So purely removing it does not seem like the best idea.

Perhaps glue three 1x2 oak strips underneath, lengthwise, supported to the ground
at the ends. Would add a LOT of strength, and only lose 3/4" inside the stand.
Or same, but simply use 3/4" plywood. Partial-Box-inside-box.

Those mini oscillating saws, like a fein multimaster or cheaper equivalent would make
pretty quick work of the cutting, without huge vibration issues on the main tank.
But you are almost certain to hit a screw just in the worst place.

How about two small tanks one on each side, then drill on hole thru the center support. Connect the two tanks together with a couple of bulkheads. Just an Idea??

sorry about that , here are some better pics

Picture014.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture009.jpg

who said canister filters were bad for reef tanks? i beg to differ!
100galtank.jpg

I thought of that but i already have the sump made. then would have to drill glass along with other crap i don't want to have to worry about. leaks, design, etc..

You could make a frame out of 2x4's that fit the perimeter under the top piece and cut some verticals for the four corners to support the weight; at the bottom brace the verticals with 2x4's for stability

Here is the finished sump/ refugium. 1 ehiem 1262 feeding 2 returns to tank with Y valve, 1 Nextreef Mrx1 Xl reactor with carbon/gfo, uv sterilizer, and refugium. All off one pump through a manafold I made. Now just need to set up a auto top off. Dang metal halides evaporate the water to fast in the center return section of sump.

If you want more details let me know:)

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

The scary part was that I cut a 2x4 for the front part of the tank as shown in the pic. It went right in to place effortelessy before the center divider was removed. After about 20 mins of having mo center support, I placed the sump in and the the 2x4. The front 2x4 no longer wanted to slip right in so I had to hit it with a hammer to make it fit. The center divider was snug but I guess played a bigger role in supporting the tank than I assumed. If anything the tank is better supported than it ever was:) I post better pics when I get off work!

Back