got ethical husbandry?

Tank Upgrade - George's New 65 Gallon - Work in Progress

Well,

Thought it was time to start a tank thread, as I took the plunge and purchased a larger tank (Currently have a 29G). I picked up Patrick's 65G AGA RR with Stand and Canopy: http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=4538.0 (Thanks fishnfst for the pointer) It's now sitting in the garage and waiting till I scrounge up parts.

Goals:

• [li]Keep the system simple and reliable
    Grow SPS, Zoas, and maybe an easier clam down the road.
    [/li]

Recommendations/Opinions are always welcome.

• [li]It came with 4 X 39W T5 Retro, 1 working Workhorse ballast[/li]
    [li]T1 Velocity pump as the return from the sump[/li]

So, to start things off....
Lighting:
I had originally thought about a metal halide, but I think I'm going to stick with the T5s. Ian recommended that I buy and Icecap 660 ballast and overdrive the lights. Since I'll still have the 1 Workhorse ballast, I was debating whether to buy another 2 T5s, but I'm probably going to save that for another day.

I went and looked on Reef Geek. Too many bulb options ;D I run PCs right now and basically use Actinic 03 + a 10000K. Is there a better mix for T5s with 4 bulbs in the canopy? Ian had made some recommendations, but I can't seem to remember exactly what they are.

Circulation
Return Pump: Anyone have experience with the T1 Velocity pump? I think it is rated for 540 GPH@0 (couldn't find the flow rates for different head heights). It cames with the tank and is externally connected to the sump. Not sure what the benefits might be to go with a Mag 5/in-sump set-up instead.

I have plenty of other powerheads to play with the flow in the tank itself. I'm going to try and get away with only one or two powerheads in the tank.

Back