Tanked - New TV series

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by SoulFish, Jul 25, 2011.

1. SoulFish

SoulFish Guest

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/tanked-an-aquatic-artform.html

Aug 19 guys, looks cool!

2. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

It was pretty funny.

3. Elite

Elite Guest

did anyone watch the show? what do you think?

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

saw the first couple episodes, less than enthusiastic about what I see though

I mean on one side of it the large tanks they make are cool (except they're all "fake" coral tanks)... however they just filled up one tank with nothing but tap water, from a hot water source, and I guess declorinated after the fact, and added the salt in the tank, but geeze.

5. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/07/16/tanked-tv-show-2/

6. sfsuphysics

Its funny, seeing "Brett" comment on that blog, I can totally see the all capital letters bit coming from him :D

7. Thales

Thales Past President

Just watched an episode. Eww. Insta tanks send a bad message to the public.

8. Elite

Elite Guest

The tank they made look very cool. I think it would be best if they stick with making tank only. Oh the girl acting skill is pretty bad :bigsmile: ..

Exactly what I thought :(

9. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

No cycling the tanks? Throw in some hot water/ice and salt and throw in the fish and call it a day? :~

10. sfsuphysics

Its the problem with public(ish) aquariums, is those who run the things typically don't want to go that fast, but those who own the things want the instant gratification because having customers look at a cycling tank doesn't woo anyone.

Hell even Steinhart went a bit faster than I think anyone wanted, mind you I don't think they used hot tap water and buckets of ice to bring the temperature back down, then toss in all their salt and let it mix that way :D

11. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Rich,

Did you guys use bacteria to cycle the tanks faster ?

12. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Ouch...

13. Thales

Thales Past President

We do, but we don't rely on it. If it was up to me, we wouldn't use it.

14. Erick

Erick Guest

I watched the first two episodes. I was entertained. I wish they would go a little deeper into what they use for filtration I only see them show diagrams. Fish only systems are cool. I liked the custom car tank and phone booth tank. The lack of tank cycling got to me also. I was hoping that they cycled the tanks and just cut out the time to make the show look more dramatic. I'm sure they didn't though.

15. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Other than Justin making a cameo on the show it's pretty sad if you ask me.

16. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

Was Just Incredible on the show?
    Well... how could he not be!

17. tuberider

tuberider Guest

They went to ERI to buy 6,000 fish for the stupid phone booth tank and Justin showed them around.

18. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Pretty sad IMHO. As far as I'm concerned it's just one more nail in the banning/regulating of the hobby coffin. The complete lack of respect for the animals as well as the “apparent” lack of husbandry requirements makes this a really sad commentary to the uninformed public that animals are furniture and disposable. I won’t be watching another episode.

It was pretty cool to see Justine though! I’d love to take a walk through that facility he where he works.

-Gregory

19. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

Still question the whole method of no cycling, tap , ice cubes etc..... Nice fish though.

20. perculation

perculation Guest

So you're saying that we're not going to see them as guest speakers in 2012?