High Tide Aquatics

Tanked - New TV series

anathema said:
Thales said:
The ATM guys are instant gurus because they are on tv.

Too their expertise is in ATM, because that's kind of gross. Not to mention unhealthy.
I was thinking the same thing. Unless ..."Colony" and "Outbreak" aren't really for the tank. >.<

OK...in the last episode I caught they created a really nice quarantine system, and actually did a little PSA on the importance of quarantine. However, this was a system designed for 50 to 60 fish as replacements for the two large show tanks. So am I missing something? They need 50 to 60 fish in reserve for replacements on an ongoing basis? If not then they're not quarantine tanks but just small show tanks.

-Gregory

There were two shows that had it... I'm guessing you're talking about the one in a home. They did say that they lost a bunch of fish to disease I think. Could be they didn't want to introduce any more fish without letting them QT.

If its the one with the church tank, I think that tank just recently went active, so they were QTing in the first place.

sfsuphysics said:
There were two shows that had it... I'm guessing you're talking about the one in a home. They did say that they lost a bunch of fish to disease I think. Could be they didn't want to introduce any more fish without letting them QT.

If its the one with the church tank, I think that tank just recently went active, so they were QTing in the first place.

It was the one in the house. Missed any discussion about a loss in the display tanks. When they showed them they looked pretty well stocked. IT COULD BE TOTALLY MY PERCEPTION: it really came across that these were meant to be ongoing revolving QT tanks for replacement for fish loss. With 50 or 60 fish in there at a time that's a lot of loss. Hope I'm wrong.

-Gregory

It could also be editing too, they filmed the tank at various times, and took the one AFTER the QT'd animals went in.

But you're pretty spot on with your assessment, there were like 3 different tanks for QT... why would you put that many in at once.

I have to say I love this show, the train wreck of interpersonal relationships, the pulling of animals out of the tank to get that tactile experience, the ginormously sized tanks with not a single word about maintenance, and best of all the wonderful words of wisdom and decisions the guys do!

So latest one, they actually making a real reef, not the coral inserts they seem to think makes a reef, so off to Justin's for fish! Feng Shui style!!!!! First up a flame angel, because fire is one of the elements, then a copper band butterfly because metal is an element, then they both say they're reef compatible, and none of the fish will harm the reef :D Justin chimes in with they eat aiptasia, so shame on him for pushing those fish, but in his defense they often say reef tanks when they put colored pieces of plastic in there.

It is pretty cool that they made a real reef and that they talked about what fish can take care of what pests, even if it was only was one sentence. Though it is pretty sad that they are still not teaching about the real process of establishing a reef, such as starting and filling reef tank in a short amount and pretending that angelfish are entirely reef-safe. Though I understand that they had to say that those two fish were reef-safe for two reasons....
1) Some people wouldn't understand how an animal can be almost reef-safe; imagine them having to explain how some angelfish don't exactly eat coral but they pick on and near it causing it to be stressed, this would be big shock since a lot of people think of corals as plants or more like rocks and then to tell them corals can get stressed!!
2) Some animal rights groups would not understand and use this as another example to shut down the reefing trade.

nudibranch said:
It is pretty cool that they made a real reef and that they talked about what fish can take care of what pests, even if it was only was one sentence. Though it is pretty sad that they are still not teaching about the real process of establishing a reef, such as starting and filling reef tank in a short amount and pretending that angelfish are entirely reef-safe. Though I understand that they had to say that those two fish were reef-safe for two reasons....
1) Some people wouldn't understand how an animal can be almost reef-safe; imagine them having to explain how some angelfish don't exactly eat coral but they pick on and near it causing it to be stressed, this would be big shock since a lot of people think of corals as plants or more like rocks and then to tell them corals can get stressed!!
2) Some animal rights groups would not understand and use this as another example to shut down the reefing trade.

I think in the last one, they had one of those questions mid way thru before a break asking what a coral is and the choices were:
rock
plant
animal or something.

And then they went on to explain that it is a living organism etc etc. This was the show with the 12' tank with Feng shui

You should have heard him at MACNA. I won't go into it, but I will say he read fan mail to us :lol:

Phone booth tank is for sale on Ebay.. Anyone?? :bigsmile:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832#vi-desc

Back