Reef nutrition

Tapmorf's In Wall Upgrade

Mike I use the Mighty Magnets MF2 and have for ~4 years now, works great up to 3/4", I use it on 1" tanks too but it's not that tenacious. anything 3/8" and under it's a little too strong for.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4902.msg65334#msg65334 date=1227205284]
Mike I use the Mighty Magnets MF2 and have for ~4 years now, works great up to 3/4", I use it on 1" tanks too but it's not that tenacious. anything 3/8" and under it's a little too strong for.
[/quote]

Is that what you use on glass tanks too?

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4902.msg65337#msg65337 date=1227205557]
[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4902.msg65334#msg65334 date=1227205284]
[/quote]

Is that what you use on glass tanks too?

[/quote]

Yep

Wow, thanks for all the tips on acrylic. I will most likely take your advice and fill the tank up for a bit to leak test and can probably keep it filled for about a week to start the hardening of the acrylic and test plumbing leaks. I will definitely check out those mighty magnets as well. I have been using the MagFloats on the glass 75g that I have. Do you think the mightmagnets will be too strong for the 1/2" acrylic ?
[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4902.msg65313#msg65313 date=1227200689]
Joyce a few things about acrylic that might help you out. Water tempers acrylic, when first filled it's pretty soft and most anything will scratch it, over time it becomes much harder (and more brittle too), and less likely to scratch. I usually fill a tank and let it sit with lights off for a week or two to start the process, that way when you do kick the lights on you have an additional week before you need to wipe the tank down. Most of the scratches you get in a new tank will be like a fine haze where you can see the individual lines if you look at the tank from and angle, especially if you're looking from the bottom up. Those scratches are from "acrylic safe" pads even ::). Whatever you do, do not use plastic scrapers until the tank has been up for a while, they will really scratch your tank in the beginning.

If you wish to use magnets, which work very well in limited access tanks consider using a super algae pad or sock http://mightymagnets.com/pads.htm#dozier especially if you have sand. The sand can get trapped in the sock, but there is very little pressure exerted on the sand grain as they tend to get trapped in the depressions of the weave.

Nice tank BTW :)

[/quote]

Robert4025, I am not having the corners routed. I actually prefer the hard corners and it will be in wall anyways, hidden by trim work and molding.

The Mighty Mags work great on 1/2" one nice thing about them for doing an in wall like that is that the wet magnet is larger than the dry magnet so you get around that pesky trim.

Gen will have leak tested your tank, he does that on all tanks before drilling.

the magnavore magnets also have that "extended edge" for in wall setups and the like, also considerably cheaper than the mightymagnets brand, unsure if the MM are actually "better" though. But it does confuse me that there's so much of an upcharge on float vs non-float.

I have experience owning both magnavore and mighty magnet. I recommend going with mightymagnet. It's lighter, has extended edge. The best thing i like about it is that it floats. When I had the magnavore everytime it disconnect, the wet side falls at the bottom and it picks up sand. And this sand can be too small that you cannot see with you eyes. You'll only know that the magnet got sand on it when you see scratches on your tank.

Newer version perhaps? I can't imagine a magnetic cleaner that wouldn't float, although the mightymagnet do sell a non-float version at a fairly considerable discount compared to the floater.

The Tank is Here !!! ;D

Gen at Kritter did an amazing job !

939_21_11_08_10_06_38.jpg

939_21_11_08_10_05_56.jpg

939_21_11_08_10_06_18.jpg

939_21_11_08_10_07_02.jpg

Jocye, with all the room in the back and you went with an internal OF box?? Great looking tank though..

Robert, Ian ordered a tank back in August. I picked it up for him.
Ian's tank thread
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=4283.30

Yup, WMS tanks are not that great. Gen's are much nicer. I have one of gen's tanks and one WMS tank. There is a huge difference in quality, but there is also a huge difference in price. I guess as the tanks get bigger the price difference increases.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I went with an internal, I figured with all the room back there that I could spare the bump out inside, I don't mind it at all. :)

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4902.msg65676#msg65676 date=1227339274]
Jocye, with all the room in the back and you went with an internal OF box?? Great looking tank though..

Robert, Ian ordered a tank back in August. I picked it up for him.
Ian's tank thread
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=4283.30
[/quote]

I still have not decided if I am going to the BAYMAC or work on the tank tomorrow. All those raffle prizes are tempting. ::)

After a busy week ...

No journal would be complete without the little merman shot :D
939_28_11_08_11_48_56.jpg

Some plumbing parts. I am sure I forgot to get something.
939_28_11_08_11_49_23.jpg

Relocated the RODI unit and installed the TDS Meter.
939_28_11_08_11_52_20.jpg

The moment has arrived, the first few drops of RO water.
939_28_11_08_11_49_57.jpg

939_28_11_08_11_51_39.JPG

Picked this up today along with some T5 bulbs.
939_28_11_08_11_52_01.jpg

It looks like it's coming together quite nicely.

When I was filling up my 120g I used the slots in the overflow box to hold the ro tubing (insert the tubing through one of the slots and if the tubing is rigid enough it should hold it in place)

Bravo Joyce, looks great.

Question though, how are you going to keep the acrylic clean? It doesn't look to accessible friendly from the front and last I saw you didn't have big orangutan arms to reach from the side. Got a magnetic scraper deally in mind?

Thanks Eileen. I have not recut the new length of my RODI line, was waiting to place the saltmixing vat and cut to length then. It is just long enough to go up and into the opening right now. But that is a great idea.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=4902.msg66416#msg66416 date=1227981130]
It looks like it's coming together quite nicely.

When I was filling up my 120g I used the slots in the overflow box to hold the ro tubing (insert the tubing through one of the slots and if the tubing is rigid enough it should hold it in place)
[/quote]

Hey Rudy, thanks. Yeah he was about 3'-0" tall when I last measured him about 3-4 months ago. He probably is another inch or two taller by now. Growth spirts are hard to keep up with.

[quote author=jellygeee link=topic=4902.msg66402#msg66402 date=1227944277]
Looking great, Joyce.
Wow, I recalled your son looked smaller when I saw him last April =D. Now I have an idea on how big the tank is.
[/quote]

:D Thanks Mike. That made me laugh out loud. Orangutan arms ... I was looking into getting those magnets mentioned earlier in this thread, the mighty magnets right ? Still need to look into those.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4902.msg66417#msg66417 date=1227981400]
Bravo Joyce, looks great.

Question though, how are you going to keep the acrylic clean? It doesn't look to accessible friendly from the front and last I saw you didn't have big orangutan arms to reach from the side. Got a magnetic scraper deally in mind?
[/quote]

Back