Neptune Aquatics

Tapmorf's In Wall Upgrade

Here is an update...It has been a while and a lot has happened.

After the RODI water was mixed with salt, I started to siphon a lot of my water from my sump and old 75G display into the new tank until it was half full. Started working with a couple of new pieces of live rock.

I also wanted a free standing island as well as an arch way type structure. It required me to drill into an approx. 20lb piece of live rock supported by a 10lb. piece for the island. And the archway I used zip ties.

939_03_12_08_11_02_59.jpg

939_03_12_08_11_02_30.jpg

Next task was to get the 75G livestock moved into the holding tank. Again, thanks to Matt (Dyngoe) for the 75G AGA (which by the way can potentially become a DBTC tank) ;D
Here my husband is transferring some of the tank water from the 75G into the holding tank, and adding new saltwater as well.
939_03_12_08_11_03_23.jpg

We had to transfer all the livestock from the 75G which is upstairs to the downstairs where the new tank is. Thank god for all those deli containers and extra buckets. :D
We setup the temp holding tank with a heater, a pump to move water and eggcrate to hold the corals in place. Here are some of the first corals that were moved.
939_03_12_08_11_03_41.jpg

The old 75G after all livestock and live rock has been removed. It is waiting to be emptied because we want to use this tank for the new sump and refugium.
939_03_12_08_11_04_06.jpg

We decided to add sand since my better half did not like the look of BB. There is about 130# pounds of Aragalive Special Grade Reef Sand. I also added a small bag of live sand, the kind that has a little bit of black sand. It made for a nice look.
939_03_12_08_11_04_41.jpg

The transfer of corals and live rock began. It felt like it was never going to end . . .
939_03_12_08_11_05_04.jpg

The 75G was washed out and left to dry. From there we DIY'd the new old 75 into a sump. The bucket under the skimmer was used to measure how high the skimmer had to be lifted.
939_03_12_08_11_05_20.jpg

The sump was left to dry overnight after the baffles were put in place via silicon. Leak tested and ready to go.

Plumbing the tank.
thumb_939_28_11_08_11_49_23.jpg

939_03_12_08_11_05_41.jpg

Returns are handled by a Mag 5 and Mag 7 routed via 1/2" PVC. Unions were placed at the pumps, for easy removal for servicing.
Overflow is a 5"x10" box with 2 x 1" bulk heads. Ball valves were placed to shut off water flow from overflow if needed.
Here is the completed plumbing.
939_03_12_08_11_05_56.jpg

View from back side of tank. (Garage side)
939_03_12_08_11_06_19.jpg

You are wondering why there is brown backing to the left and right sides. I had black acrylic cut and applied via velcro to the back of the tank so that I can remove the black backs for servicing and maintenance.

We built and painted a 2x4 frame above the tank to hang light fixtures and fans off of.

View from top of tank from back side. I finally got around to making those window screen tops to prevent jumpers. Thanks to Eileen for the clear netting.
939_03_12_08_11_06_37.jpg

View from front.
939_03_12_08_11_06_54.jpg

I will most likeley add some more live rock to the right side to hide some of those wires and finish the Family Room side with molding and a flip up access panel. I will try to get more pictures up.

I love those rock structures you made, I thought about doing that myself (drilling/zipties/rods) however all my rocks are encrusted with corals, and didn't want to spend too much time drying them out.

Yeah I should have gotten 2 that day. I am already down to less than half a bucket. Did you end up getting any corals that day ?
[quote author=Apon link=topic=4902.msg67154#msg67154 date=1228421499]
cool - did you run out of salt again? you should have bought 2 buckets from Steve. : )
[/quote]

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Maybe I didn't see it in this thread but; what kind of fish do you have in this new tank Joyce? Any plans for certain fishes?

I currently have in the tank:

4 Blue Green Chromis
Mystery Wrasse
Orange Shoulder Tang
1 Banghai Cardinal
1 Saddleback Clown
2 Lawnmower Blennys
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Virgate Rabbitfish

I want to add another fairy wrasse, would probably have to be of size because of the Mystery and maybe another tang, either a purple or yellow tang. May consider some anthias as well, have not made up my mind on those.

I just added today a cleaning crew, about 20 astreas, 50 blue leg hermits, 5 nassarias and a couple emerald crabs.

Finally finished the trim work around the tank thanks to my husband's handy work. The panel is hung like a picture, lift and remove when access is needed. The molding is 2 1/2" oak trim painted to match the floors, nailed to stud frame behind.
939_14_12_08_10_58_01.jpg

Also added a few more pieces of live rock, mainly to the back right side. Trying to hide some of the wires.
939_14_12_08_10_58_28.jpg

Livestock update:
+3 Orange Anthias from Max at Aquarium Showroom
+1 Tomini Tang from Lucky Ocean
+1 Purple Firefish from Lucky Ocean
(I have decided not to add another wrasse out of fear from aggression by my Mystery).
-1 Lawnmower Blenny (Not sure what happened to him, he was fat and happy) :(

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=4902.msg69533#msg69533 date=1229321388]
jealous
[/quote]
+1

very nive Joyce. Love it. Great to have your own house, isn't it?? Wondering what my landlord will say if I make a hole in a wall like that ;D ..

Thanks Bryan, Can't wait to see your build, it should be awesome and it will make us all jealous as well.

Phong - I can't imagine. My mother freaked when one of our tenants painted one wall smurf blue and another orange sherbert. :)

Back