Tell us what our mission means to you!

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by cwolfus, Nov 11, 2007.

1. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Fellow BAR members,

In our last BOD meeting, we briefly discussed our interpretation of BAR’s mission and would like to hear from you.

How do you interpret our mission statement and how you would like to see it applied?

Here’s our mission statement: http://www.bareefers.org/WhoAreWe.aspx

“Bar Area Reefers(BAR) seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.”

Tell us what it means to you…

Charles
    Communications Director, BAR

2. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Some interpret our mission to foster and encourage education to mean we should bring in big name speakers who perform cutting edge research or develop improved techniques. Others interpret this as meaning we should be working closely with each other to share the knowledge we have each gained. Still others would like to see us funding research, setting up and maintaining tanks for local schools, etc. And that is just the education portion of our mission.

So what does our mission mean to you?

Charles

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

nevermind.

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I have learned more this year from talks given by "big name people" then I have in tha last few years in BAR. Seeing the graphs on water flow to coral growth really hit home. Discoounting them as they are "names" is just silly IMO :D If you head Jake Adams talk on Water Flow, you'd understand my thirst for more talks like his.

5. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I have nothing to say but I agree. I submitted a thread about my zoa's declining (which is still happening) and got responses from a few people. I start a thread about my latest cool coral purchase and everyone give koodos. Koodos are great but help... well that could determine the future of a person's tank. So let's think about why that is... my guess is experience. We haven't all had the same problems or successes. I could go a lot of directions with that my I think you see my point. I've only been in this hobby for about 6 months so offering koodo's and asking questions is most of what I have to offer. I have done a lot of reeding on basic reef husbandry so I can help with some of the more simple stuff that's it. I don't know if this provides anything or not but in my mind it may show lend to the 'why' certain posts get more attention. Sure we all want free corals and see pics of these beautiful creations (especially with some of the awesome pictures you guys take) so those posts are easy to respond to than the ones about what we don't know anything about.

Bottom line I think is the 10% rule. 10% of the people have %80 of the information. So I'm all for spreading the information.

6. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Good points all around. We need to hear more opinions like this so keep them coming. I think there are plenty of things we can do to better spread the knowledge of the 10% to the 80%, and we can definately bring in speakers to educate all 100%.

What about the part of our mission that states "the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life."

What does this mean to you? Some have said that for them this means the club should only purchase captive bred corals for swaps and other events and stay away from a chop shop mentality. For some it means encouraging members to let their frags grow into full colonies and not be fragged so quickly. For still others it is about creating club breeding programs like CB Bangiis (however you spell that).

Keep your opinions coming so together we can make this BAR's best year yet!

C

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

On the subject of education, I think you can never have enough. In order for us to remain the vanguard club that is BAR, the "old school" reefers that provide help to the newer reefers need to stay current. Sort of a top down food chain, education wise that is. Not to say meetings should be presented in a dry classroom fashion, it also needs to be fun. For example, I had the privilege of hearing Julian Sprung speak in 1994, I walked out of the meeting speechless, I had a good time, and was much more capable of caring for the animals in my possession. Mind you, he was cutting edge at that time. To me that is what responsible reefkeeping is about, education. There are so many more people with reefs now, along with an insane amount of information, there needs to be some clarity. So in regards to education, I think we don't just need to grow with the hobby, we need to help the hobby grow.

Also, do we need frag swaps? The DBTC program is like a frag swap on steroids, lineage is traced, items are available as people can use them, not like an all you can eat buffet. Thus, helping to mitigate the "where's the line for free coral?" attitude that can invariably result from a semi-free for all. As well as the person providing the frag can provide sound advice in regards to care, instead of picking out a bunch of stuff which to people who are new in the hobby (or even seasoned hobbyists for that matter), can be a crapshoot. It also helps eliminate people bringing whatever they dredge up from off the bottoms of their tanks in order to get into the swap, during the last swap I spotted several corals that were going to be dead before they even arrived to their new homes, that is not responsible.