Jestersix

Temperature Controller & Heater

I have a single stage Ranco temperature controller. I currently have it wired to a fan to prevent my tank from ever going above 81F.

On my new tank I will not need a cooling mechanism, so I was thinking of using the Ranco with my heater instead. A Visi-therm heater more precisely. I was figuring that instead of relying on the heaters built-in thermostat, I could rely on the Ranco's.

Will there be any issue with using the Visi-therm on the temperature controller? I know a lot of people who use temperature controllers like these use titanium heaters (which lack a built-in thermostat).

As far as I see it, if the Ranco's probe says the temperature in the tank is at the set temperature, it will not send power to the heater. If the Ranco detects the temperature is below the set temperature threshold, it will power on the heater until the temperature does reach the set temperature; after which time it will shut off the heater.

Thoughts? I know this may sound like a silly question. Just want to make sure I have things straight in my head.
Thanks!

I did that same thing for years without any problems.
I had my heater set 2 degrees warmer than the Ranco was set for.

Sweet, good to know! Thanks Jon! :)

JAR said:

Why was the heater set 2 degrees higher than the Ranco?
Theoretically, couldn't the heater be set for 70 (or whatever low temperature), but it wouldn't matter? Wouldn't the Ranco just override the thermostat on the heater and turn the heater on and off whenever it (the Ranco) sees it necessary?

A_Lee said:
Sweet, good to know! Thanks Jon! :)

JAR said:

Why was the heater set 2 degrees higher than the Ranco?
Theoretically, couldn't the heater be set for 70 (or whatever low temperature), but it wouldn't matter? Wouldn't the Ranco just override the thermostat on the heater and turn the heater on and off whenever it (the Ranco) sees it necessary?

No the ranco only controls power to the heater, if the heater isnt triggered by its internal temp control it will not come on. Setting the heater to a couple degrees higher will ensure it comes on when the ranco turns it on but not allow it to over heat if the ranco fails.

So I am having a small issue ...

Ranco says 77*, but it is set to 78*, with a Differential setting of "1". My heater stays on; But the temperature doesn't seem to rise above 77 according to my Ranco. And my heater is set to 82-83.
And my other thermometer reads 75.8. I am confused. Why is my tank is my tank not heating up to 78*?
My heater has been on for the longest time now?

Maybe your heater aint got enough watts. Also what thermometer are you using? Try setting your ranco to 77 and see if it can hold that temp.

I thought about this as well ... but it is a 100w heater, and I've never had a problem with it before. Interesting. I threw in a another heater to help the Ranco achieve its target temperature, and so far it's been holding it okay!

How do you calibrate the correct temp. on the controller? do you guys think an infra-red ear thermometer be a good thing to use?

xcaret said:
How do you calibrate the correct temp. on the controller? do you guys think an infra-red ear thermometer be a good thing to use?

I use an infrared thermemeter, its very accurate. I haven't found it necessary to calibrate my digital controller.

This is the one I use, mostly to check the temp of my mixed saltwater.
http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-52224A-SP-MSC52224A-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B000TM7HXC/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1283758275&sr=8-22

Back