Cali Kid Corals

Testing out the new camera

I have a lot to learn. Any tips to make better shoot would be great ;D ..

------------------------------------
Helping daddy setting up lights ;D

quanduy.jpg

quanduy1.jpg

quanduy2.jpg

quanduy3.jpg

quanduy4.jpg

I need to get me a tripod and a better len. The Nikon 18-55mm doesn't have VR and my hands shake too much. :p :-[

duy1.jpg

duy-1.jpg

hey phong, i'm very impressed! firstly, your boys are way too cute. you really captured the moments there, I really like your shots, seriously.

Even without VR, your hands are fine. Don't depend on VR, and VR isn't the miracle cure either =)

The best way to learn, is to keep shooting!!! Shoot all the time, and when your results aren't great, learn why and how to do better. =)

One thing that will immediately help you though, read #3 here:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=1912.0

Rule of thirds. For some reason it makes any picture more pleasant

It's because the human eye naturally zones into the 3rds section in just about any picture.

These are some great first pics. As Art said, keep on snapping away and if there's something that you want to correct for, just ask.

How do you guys take pics without flash in the dark? With external flash you can point it to different angle and use some kind of "deflector" (I saw it on the DVD that came with the camera :D). I don't have external flash or the tripod. I tried turning off flash and pics came really dark.

I usually use flash or a tripod in the dark. Actually in the dark I rarely ever use flash unless I'm doing portraits... and I hate doing portraits in the dark.

Get a tripod =) The onboard flash does a pretty good job too though, but otherwise I'd invest in a SB-600 or a SB-800 if you have the money. My SB-600 hasn't let me down yet =)

teach him martial arts!! quick!!! he'll make you money! =) give him to norman for a few months, he'll come back with ridiculous mantis skills ;)

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2688.msg28150#msg28150 date=1197266678]
I usually use flash or a tripod in the dark. Actually in the dark I rarely ever use flash unless I'm doing portraits... and I hate doing portraits in the dark.

Get a tripod =) The onboard flash does a pretty good job too though, but otherwise I'd invest in a SB-600 or a SB-800 if you have the money. My SB-600 hasn't let me down yet =)
[/quote]

What do you think about this tripod??
http://www.adorama.com/VNULBH.html?searchinfo=tripod&item_no=20

I'm also looking at the SB-600. And I thought reef equipment is expensive >:(.

look here: http://feisol.com

that would be my recommendation. carbon fiber tripod system at 1/2 the cost of the big name brands for as good or better quality =)

'cause it'll last you a very long time. Good stability and if you're ever hiking/using it, it's much lighter than any thing you can get for the price.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2688.msg28171#msg28171 date=1197311772]
'cause it'll last you a very long time. Good stability and if you're ever hiking/using it, it's much lighter than any thing you can get for the price.
[/quote]

Aren't most of them weight about 3-4 lbs?? I notice some can handle much more load but do you really need that? Camera and len doesn't weight more than 10lbs. Unless you have some giant len ;D . My camera and len weight only about 3 lbs. I can understand spending $ on a really good len/camera but not the tripod. I just don't want to spend $ on something that I don't really need :D ..

Features, ease of use, etc, etc, are all factors. Sure, you can cheap out and you'll get what you pay for. Cheapest I'd go is the standard sized Feisol.

As far as needing, let's see some of your high quality hand held macro shots :)

But hey, some people like cheap and crappy, me, I pay for quality and keep it for ever, like my old Bogen I am soon replacing for a lighter model and one with a ball head.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2688.msg28184#msg28184 date=1197332709]
[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2688.msg28171#msg28171 date=1197311772]
[/quote]

Aren't most of them weight about 3-4 lbs?? I notice some can handle much more load but do you really need that? Camera and len doesn't weight more than 10lbs. Unless you have some giant len ;D . My camera and len weight only about 3 lbs. I can understand spending $ on a really good len/camera but not the tripod. I just don't want to spend $ on something that I don't really need :D ..
[/quote]

There are a few other factors when considering how much it can handle in terms of weight.

1. In extremly windy conditions (like standing up on the cliffs in marin headlands next to the golden gate bridge in wintertime) it is sometimes good to hang a VERY heavy bag off the hook on the center column to stabilize your tripod and camera. If you can hang like 100 lbs off that, then it would be very solid (just an extreme example).

2. You can lean on it a bit too if you wanted to. Sometimes I find myself leaning on it, down on it, etc. when I'm at odd angles... especially when shooting my tank (though some surgeon like people can steady hand hold shots amazingly =)

3. so you can brag about it? and one day you'll get a super monstrous heavy lens =)

I wish I could lean on my old Bogen, it would slip and I would be sitting on the ground with a camera imbedded in my face :)

Next pay check Feisol is being orderred and a ball head from http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/index.html

Back