Jestersix

TGunn's First 37g in the Bay Area

Wow, sympathies and hope you get better!!

Dosing Alk/Calcium is great. Key is that you still need to test and tweak it, even long term.
Usage will vary, so it will drift.
You need something reliable. Not so sure about Jaebo.

For water changes:
If you continuously pump water in + out, those pumps need to match EXACTLY!
You can calibrate, but they need to remain the same as well.
I am not a fan of that method in general, but if you do, seems like you would need really quality equipment.

Given your condition, at least "pump assist" normal water changes. Instead of lugging buckets.
Ideal: Two pumps, two switches, various tubes. One to pump water out, one to pump new water back in.
Simpler: Get a hand cart, put buckets on that, and use a movable pump with a short hose on it.
Thanks yeah this was a pretty bad weekend surprise. :)

I have a single head Cole palmer dosing pump but it is probably not going to help me. Just adjustable speed. Would like to program dosing amounts for each and then monitor with tests to.tweak.

Are other brands more accurate than the jebaeo?

Hmm okay maybe simple pump assist water changes are a better idea.

Ty,

Sorry to hear about your situation and wish you the best to a healthy recovery....If I lived closer I would loved to help...keep us posted on your needs and if there is something I can help with I will try to help....
Hey thanks :). Its definitely an adventure. My wife and daughter are helping out really.well. thankfully the tank is pretty stable as it is right now so should be okay on auto pilot for a bit.

So sorry to hear this Tyler! I hope you're feeling better. I had a procedure a while back and was told I couldn't lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for a month. I quickly realized that that makes having an aquarium really difficult. I just ended up getting a small pump and a big length of vinyl tubing. I'd pump the water from my RO reservoir into my mixing buckets that sat right in front of the tank so I didn't have to carry them. Then I'd mix my water and when I was ready, I'd use my siphon to remove water into a couple buckets. I'd then use the little pump and tubing to pump the new water up into the tank. To get rid of the buckets of waste water, I'd use the pump and tubing to pump the water down my sink drain. Definitely kind of a hassle, but it involved absolutely no lifting and it was super low tech and cheap. I bet you can come up with something more automated long term though.
Haha ooops fell asleep writing this.

Hi Felicia I'm limited to 10lb lift now too. I figure going forward I'll have to be very careful.

What kinds of pumps did you find worked well? My maxijet collection seems weak and leaky so I probably need some better pumps.

Keep me informed on the jebaeo dosing pump. Definitely need to automate alk and ca.

Haha ooops fell asleep writing this.

Hi Felicia I'm limited to 10lb lift now too. I figure going forward I'll have to be very careful.

What kinds of pumps did you find worked well? My maxijet collection seems weak and leaky so I probably need some better pumps.

Keep me informed on the jebaeo dosing pump. Definitely need to automate alk and ca.
I just use a small Rio pump for my water changes. They're cheap and reliable. I think they're great practical pumps for stuff like this. If you want to pump the water very far you'd probably need a bigger one, but they have a good size range. Plus you can get them on Amazon which makes me happy.

I knew I should have helped you carry those things when I asked you on Saturday! :p

Glad to hear you're doing better but scary that you (temporarily) lost control of your left foot.

I knew I should have helped you carry those things when I asked you on Saturday! [emoji14]

Glad to hear you're doing better but scary that you (temporarily) lost control of your left foot.
In retrospect I should have known something was up when a bucket of water was overwhelming. Oh well :). So glad I got it treated fast.

I just use a small Rio pump for my water changes. They're cheap and reliable. I think they're great practical pumps for stuff like this. If you want to pump the water very far you'd probably need a bigger one, but they have a good size range. Plus you can get them on Amazon which makes me happy.
Sweet. I'll Prime up a bunch of them and some tubing so I can get this set up.

The tubing is easier to manage with a hose clip, I have a few like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Function-Holder-flexible-useful-easier/dp/B00NW89AV2

If your RODI has an ASV in it, you can use a simple float valve like this to turn it off when filling:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077RAX4W

I have a BRS RODI that came with an ASV, so I mounted this valve into the side of my brute container and I can leave it for days and come back to it full without a leak.
I will need to get something like that clip. Clamps are awkward and seem to pop off at the wrong moment.

I have an auto shutoff valve and pressure tank for my
rodi system. I really wish I could run a dedicated line from the kitchen sink to the tank for refilling top off and making saltwater. I'd unfortunately need to run ro line across the ceiling or across the floor somehow to get to the tank from the kitchen sink.

I really should setup some floats in my buckets,however.

So I've been thinking more about flow lately. I've got a mj900 return from the sump area of my aio. I've also got two wp10s. One is on else mode for random flow and the other is set to make a pretty pitiful standing wave.

I really like the look of the standing eave and would like to get some more movement down low in the the tank to help keep the sand clean.

I'm thinking the jbwave controller for the wp10s looks interesting as I could sync them to get a more powerful standing wave. However I feel a standing wave alone would not be enough general flow for the tank.

Actual viewable area in the tank is about 16in front to back, 24 wide and 21 tall.

My wp10s are on the sides. Given how shallow the front to back dimension is k dunno that I can usefully mount anything on the back. Opinions welcome.

Here are my 2 cents, you're going to end up with detritus/food on the sandbed no matter how much flow you have. There will also be deadspots in your tank where things settle. It looks like you have fine grain sand. If you have too much flow, that sand is going to move.

I think if ya have them sync to a nice wave move, you'll have detritus/food pushing side to side via wave.

I have two wp10s on opposite ends in my 40g breeder and I have both set to wave mode 1 at the medium or low setting. Anything higher my zoanthids and rockfower anemones are getting pushed. I like Else mode the best but I can't use it due to too much flow.

I don't imagine there's ever going to be a way to completely eliminate dead spots and detritus buildup. I was more curious if the standing wave type flow was enough or if I needed more general flow. I'll have to look if the jbwave controller has options to change the flow mode during the day.

I have 2 MP10's as well on each side of my 37 gal cube. One ramps up as the other is ramps down. I don't put it any higher than 1/2 power as sand will start getting kicked around and corals would get battered by flow. My red flower pot loves the current set up so I stick with it.

I'll have to post some pics of the beautiful frags I got from the fragging workshop. They chalice is my favorite; such a nice color. I feel bad though; what started as a single piece has been broken into 3 individual pieces. For some reason I have had the hardest time gluing it down. I'm going to blame this on recovering from spine surgery -- just didn't have the patience and strength to get it done right and put on too much pressure.

The tank has otherwise been pretty much in a holding pattern as I recover. I really need to get in there and zap some aiptasia that has been starting to build up in one area. I have Joes Juice for this but think I'll pick up some Aiptasia X (used in the past). I find the Joe's Juice has a strange consistency that makes it hard to use in a precision manner. Never had that problem with Aiptasia-X.

Tyler - I hope you are recovering quickly and not doing anything too strenuous - take it easy!!! I had similar problems with gluing that chalice down as it is much thinner than it looks! But all three frags should grow out......hope you'll be well enough to come to the frag swap next month.

Tyler - I hope you are recovering quickly and not doing anything too strenuous - take it easy!!! I had similar problems with gluing that chalice down as it is much thinner than it looks! But all three frags should grow out......hope you'll be well enough to come to the frag swap next month.

I'm recovering well. Its a slow process to be sure. Being off work I get the itch to tinker with projects on the tank but can't really.

I think I got it glued finally. Used a whole lot of gel glue and it took hold at last.

I am pretty sure I'll be recovered enough by then. I'll have to make sure not to carry any big buckets of saltwater around this time like I did at the frag workshop. Hehe.

Back