Cali Kid Corals

The "Legend" of TubeRider's Looong Journey.

Episode 1
In a burg between Sf and SJ nestled in the Emerald Hills, lies a modern cavern which needed some life...
The modern design of this cavern required something in order to divide the breakfast nook from the parlor.
A plan was hatched, and the hydrodynamic wizardry of Tuberider's journey had begun.
A story about the Legend.

Criteria:
190.5 x 15.5 x 25" (LxWxH") space for marine environment box.
Id of tank 185 x 14 x 23.5" = 263 Gallon interior
One end faces hallway, the other faces exterior wall of home.
The other side of the wall has a 2nd story outdoor deck in which a sump can be placed.
The owner of the home wants an extremely low canopy hiding the lighting. (This ideation to be continued)
All filtration to go on the outdoor deck.
Aquarium to be filled with Tropical reef creatures.

Acrylic sheet comes in 8' and 10' sheet.
This length requires mass quantities of $ in order to custom build a sheet, or the tank must be butte joined.
Experimentation to come.

The saga continues...

wooboy that's one long tank! I seem to recall over at RC someone did a fairly long tank (12 feet maybe?) but he made the other dimensions significantly smaller.

Do keep us in the loop, if anything I'd be curious how you'd put the pieces together.

I built a scale model of this and it's hanging on the wall of our office.
Flow dynamics were tricky. I was making a "resuscitation-style" (flow through tank). Weird gyres not at all what I expected. How do you move water from one end to the other (toward the overflow?)
killietank.jpg

killietankfinished.jpg

sfsuphysics said:
wooboy that's one long tank! I seem to recall over at RC someone did a fairly long tank (12 feet maybe?) but he made the other dimensions significantly smaller.

Do keep us in the loop, if anything I'd be curious how you'd put the pieces together.

I remember that thread and was actually trying to find it so that I could link it here.... but I gave up. :) It was a very long, narrow, short tank on a shelf or room divider type thing with some closed loops. Cool concept.

Overflow on one end, return on the other to get water cycling through the whole thing. Closed loops are basically a must. It would be really easy to get a decent laminar flow from one end to the other using just high turnover to the sump and back, though.

Tamazula said:
sfsuphysics said:

I remember that thread and was actually trying to find it so that I could link it here.... but I gave up. :) It was a very long, narrow, short tank on a shelf or room divider type thing with some closed loops. Cool concept.

Overflow on one end, return on the other to get water cycling through the whole thing. Closed loops are basically a must. It would be really easy to get a decent laminar flow from one end to the other using just high turnover to the sump and back, though.

I beg to differ, owning one of course. It is most certainly not easy ;)

houser said:
How do you move water from one end to the other (toward the overflow?)
Just a thought, but you could have overflows on either end, then have long lasting alternating pump cycles pushing the water to one end, then switching back the other way.

houser said:
I built a scale model of this and it's hanging on the wall of our office.
Flow dynamics were tricky. I was making a "resuscitation-style" (flow through tank). Weird gyres not at all what I expected. How do you move water from one end to the other (toward the overflow?)
killietank.jpg

killietankfinished.jpg

The wizardry is up to the Tubey... he hasnt seen his own blog yet =)
Not on the table saw! The seams can't be hidden.

houser said:
Tamazula said:
sfsuphysics said:

I beg to differ, owning one of course. It is most certainly not easy ;)

I just did the math on it and I believe you. Putting a 2500 gph pump on a tank with those dimensions, water would flow roughly 0.5 in/sec, on average, through its cross section. That isn't very much... and it's before head/plumbing loss.

I think I overestimate the power of those larger pumps. Closed loops? :)

The tank can only have one overflow, it is a peninsula style. There will be a closed loop plumbed under the sand with a box for a submerged pump (Mag 24), the flow will be mostly laminar, but adjustible AFA direction if any dead spot occur.

For the most part it will be VERY open as there needs to be a lot of unobsruted views from one room to another. I can't wait to see it with a group of blue eyed cardnals crusing inbetween the bommies.

The lighting will be LED, it will be a very open tank, a view through style, simple rock bommies. A low profile hood is being designed that will act as a canopy and a heat sink to minimize the visual impact of the hood.

robert4025 said:
Crazy cool looking tank man. So, what kinda rock you gonna use? Have you check out the new FHI rocks????

OK sales guy, dude already has a 100g that is full of rock, we really don't need much. Besides, you don't remember our conversation about the rock, it's not like you said "look at this rock" and I said "yeah", it was an actual in depth conversation about the composition of the rock ;)

Back