High Tide Aquatics

The Money Pit (Bruce S. #2)

I purchased the $30.00 Phone Filter Clip and tried some close-ups with my Iphone. Not too bad for an Iphone.

IMG_5677.JPG
IMG_5678.JPG
IMG_5679.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5682.JPG
IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5686.JPG
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5683.JPG

Stunning!
Hard to believe you had GHA and cyano in there. I am battling both of those now and think I need to increase my flow and dead spots. I was going to start a thread on the topic, but could you describe your flow? Pumps seem high above the sandbed but your sand looks perfectly clean.

There's only one pump in the tank plus the return, but it's a Maxspect gyre. Placed high up it hits the opposite wall in a sheet, travels down that wall and then across the sand. It's a great pump to reduce dead spots. Flow is important, but won't solve the issue at all once it gets started. Mine became a major issue (with hair algae up to 3" long that covered over half the tank. I got rid of it by attacking it. Every three days or so I'd take a form bristle brush (a couple different sizes) and scrub the rocks. Once I had as much off as I could I'd siphon as much as I could get out. The Cyano I sucked out more often anytime I'd see it beginning to mat. Once I had about three fourths of it out manually I felt safe in treating it chemically as well as still scrubbing manually. I didn't want to treat chemically till most was gone because I didn't want to see a big die-off that could pollute the tank. I then started treating it with Vibrant and also went out and grabbed a couple of urchins, a Sea Hare and a lawnmower blenny. All worked their little asses off, but I think the Tuxedo Urchins were the key because when they hit a patch they left nothing behind except scraped rock.

The key though is you have to scraped the rock with brushes (hard) and in some cases take out corals and brush it off them as well. Once you get about 80-90% out natural processes can finally get a head of it.

Reactions: JVU
Old picture of the Walt Disney. It's much larger now. If you look at the last pic in this new set of pics the Chaoti is pointing at it with it's nose. It looks green in these pic sbut I'm using a cheap filter

That is some good info, thanks. What a lot of work! Been wondering about those Gyres, too. I love seeing coral colonies, not just tiny frags.

Congratulations on winning the battle!

I took my rocks out and scrapped the algae out with a scalpel. Often times cutting down into the rock itself to get the roots out too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically I had to do the same thing rock by rock. Scrape the hell out of it til finally getting the upper hand. Still have some but it’s under control

Back