Jestersix

The New Forum is Here!

Another comment/question...

I really dislike "points"/"karma"/etc. Is there a way to turn that off? It reflects nothing about me, especially given I started a new account not all that long ago :lol:

I like the new forum software, but we lost our splash page. People newer to the net, and even some old netters, often are confused by straight forums.
I agree, I liked that there was a front page with the next upcoming event and the most recent posts.
That's something we can implement. Be sure to put it on the Feature Request thread please.
Oh so php code no longer works? bummer
Another comment/question...

I really dislike "points"/"karma"/etc. Is there a way to turn that off? It reflects nothing about me, especially given I started a new account not all that long ago :lol:
Yeah, no PHP, at least for now. We're going to leave the point/karma stuff on for now unless the community greatly dislikes it. I think it's a great way to reflect good behavior and interaction amongst the BAR members.
I was wondering if the "xenForo" logo in the header is going to be replaced with our new logo?

It will be replaced once we're ready. :)

Feel free to post it over there, I'm not jumping through your hoops just to get a face for BAR which you removed :rolleyes:

Oh well, you chased me off than. I'm gone till you remove "points' (or give us an option to turn them off) which are meaningless. Post count means jack diddly squat.

You know where to find me if you ever fix it.

Firstly, everyone starts fresh with the karma/points system.

Personally my operating philosophy is that if you help people out, it should be done out of generosity, and the vast majority of folks will reciprocate or pass it forward. That is the attitude that BAR members have been cultivating since the club's inception. The rare bad apple that tries to take advantage of the club's and members' generosity are typically quite transparent in their motives, and I don't worry about them - water finds its own level.

Just as there is no real meaning for anyone seeking validation by accruing "points" as a popularity contest, there is no penalty to disregard the points system. It's up to each individual to determine whether you want to use someone's points as a metric.

I personally dislike the "Star" system (you know when there is a star rating bellow the name or avatar) because from my experience I noticed that users will often ask that you rate them or whatever as though there is some kind of competition to earn the most.
But the point system in here is kinda cool, simply because it's not showcased or highlighted. I don't see other people's points or likes in fact the only time I notice them is when I first come to site and it shows me my points & likes in the corner of which somehow I already got a few (folks here must actually like me :p) and it doesn't feel like people are going to expect it from me beyond my expressed gratitude or praise.

Oh well, Gresh is off the hook this time :)

Personally, I don't care too much either way about the points and/or karma deal but it's super easy to just ignore it and not let it get in the way of your browsing pleasure if it does bother you.

~Charlie

Denzil...I like the new forum a lot! I know I told you this already but just in case you haven't heard, I like the new forum....a lot....lol. I think you and the rest of the BOD members are doing a fantastic job of putting a new ooomph into the organization and so you guys definitely raised the bar for others to follow. Thanks again to all the BOD's and members for keeping this organization going strong. I am looking forward to supporting you guys for many more years!

Robert

Denzil...I like the new forum a lot! I know I told you this already but just in case you haven't heard, I like the new forum....a lot....lol. I think you and the rest of the BOD members are doing a fantastic job of putting a new ooomph into the organization and so you guys definitely raised the bar for others to follow. Thanks again to all the BOD's and members for keeping this organization going strong. I am looking forward to supporting you guys for many more years!

Robert

Thank, Robert. That really means a lot coming from you. I'm glad I've made such a great impact for the club in my relatively short tenure in the hobby but I couldn't have done it without the members of the BOD, the club, and our amazing sponsors.

Let's keep the lights on for this hobby and see how far we can take it!

Is there a way to show the post time and date in a place that's more easily readible, and easy to see? For some reason, I have a hard time finding the post times even if I know exactly where they are.

Maybe at the top of each post instead? Anyone else feel the same?

Is there a way to show the post time and date in a place that's more easily readible, and easy to see? For some reason, I have a hard time finding the post times even if I know exactly where they are.

Maybe at the top of each post instead? Anyone else feel the same?

Initially I had the same issue with the test site, but after some acclimation it's become a little easier.

DZ, is there an option in the forum settings to change the location of the post timestamp?

Initially I had the same issue with the test site, but after some acclimation it's become a little easier.

DZ, is there an option in the forum settings to change the location of the post timestamp?

Not that I'm aware of, yet. However, if it's an official feature request, it's very likely it'll be towards the bottom of the list, for now.

Back