got ethical husbandry?

The quiet tank challenge.

The pictures aren't that great, since it's hard to get behind the tank with my phone. I think it would be even harder with a camera. So the drain pipe is the solid upside U. The return is the clear pipe.

What kind of noise is it making? Is it flushing? Slashing? Gurgling?

The first thing I see is that the stand pipe is pretty low, that would cause some splashing from the cascading overflow.

Also, I just noticed in your tank thread that your return pump runs 1350GPH, that is way too much flow for that single overflow and way too much flow for a single 1" bulkhead.

Water is moving down the standpipe so fast it is drawing air at a rapid rate, that is actually good, if it is flushing that indicates that you have elbows that are impeding a consistent flow. Gurgling means too much water too fast most of the time :)

A thought is to drill a couple of 1/4" holes near the bottom of the pipe.
Best if you have spare pipe to test this with, since it is destructive, and can be done wrong.
The concept: Adding holes allows a lot of water to enter at the bottom, thus
the velocity of water near the original head of the pipe is much lower, so you do not suck air in.

My tank is so loud that if I cared I'd have a serious case of envy.

Having put water through my floor before you'll never convince me to put a valve on the drain that isn't 100% open. Murphy swung by my flat once and...

177ike said:
Gate valve on drain side.

Given his pump is over sized and he's pushing the limit to the bulkhead, your suggestion would overflow his tank ;)

I think the idea for having the bigger pump size was to be able to add a chiller on one pump. The pump flow is adjustable though.

I think if you used a larger fuel tank, and sourced a marine bilge pump, you could use a chainsaw motor as your return pump. Then you wouldn't hear the overflow as much.
chainsaw333.JPG

Back