Jestersix

The "Real" price of salt

I'm still gathering information, and perhaps people here will be able to add info on the current salt list (to fill in the holes) or additional salts not on the list. Right now, the page is non-editable. Eventually, I'll get up an editable page where you can enter in your own target salinity and the price you pay for salt.

The results may surprise some of you!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkNa58B3iG3GdGItUGFLVnpYb3VTNkdETFlTV01xemc&hl=en

Another thing to consider in the "price" of the salt Tony is the cost to get the params besides salinity up to reef standards (i.e. the additional calcium and alk you need to add to IO)

Instant Ocean/Reef Crystals also sells 160g buckets as well as 200g boxes. The boxes give you more salt, but less bucket :p

So, I dunno if "free" bucket counts for anything, aside from $4.

V

Good work, it makes me rethink using Seachem reef, might as well go Aqua Vitro since it costs just about the same per gallon- plus it's got the 'bucket factor' going for it.

I would give Salinity a shot but none of the stores near me carry it and I can't find it online. Oh well, I guess reef crystals is working fine.

Erin, I got mine from Karson. At the time, he had 4 buckets. I got 2 and someone got another. He may have 1 left or may have got a new shipment.
Not terribly close but as close as it gets.

Aqua Vitro products are not available online, they support LFS.

Erin, call Aquaitc Rocks & Supply in Manteca, Doug is the exclusive supplier outside of SLS, perhaps there's a source near you or a store that buys stuff through Doug that would be willing to order you a bucket or two.

Eric: That would be awesome if it's not inconvenient for you!

Jeremy: I thought you've said numerous times that fish stores don't really make money on salt. Did I misunderstand? Thanks for the tip about the supplier. I'll give that a shot too.

Erin,

What I think Jeremy means is that it is a loss leader (that is it gets people in the store on a regular basis) s that people effectively look around and buy other stuff. Making it avail only at LFS's does just that.

Bryan is correct, some stores don't follow that model, so it's not always the case, but for the most part the markup is very slim. That goes for tanks as well, many stores sell them at or near cost hoping you'll purchase the other equipment through them, with the advent of online commerce more and more people opt to buy the other equipment online which kills the LFS.

I'm sure Derek at OT would be willing to put an order in for us if we put a group buy together or something....
He told me the supplier that he gets it from does not charge him for shipping.
I'm in for 1 bucket!

Back