The sunny reef on the hill

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by bayview, Apr 22, 2012.

1. monkeybiz

monkeybiz Guest

Really looking that 40 gallon

2. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Funky light show! Love it.
    I sure hope you like xenia though. My bet is that it will continue to take over.

3. bayview

bayview Guest

neuro likes this.
  4. monkeybiz

monkeybiz Guest

Really like how the colors of your fish pop against the subdued purple background, especially your clown fish

5. bayview

bayview Guest

Just added 2 10k t5's and have to say I am getting more and more pleased with the look ...

[​IMG]

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  6. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Im liking that very much

7. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

Looks great!

8. bayview

bayview Guest

Removed the t5 all led again needs about another 100watts and I'll be happy :p

So far so good, a year so far with just leds ... the build my led light rocks ..

Attached Files:

neuro likes this.
  9. bayview

bayview Guest

200 watts led and a 4bulb t5 ho now ... starting to add some sps ... I need to get my water tested ... this blind dosing / few water changes is scarey even though I am conservative, I know parameters can get off quick ...

On another note the coral love it and my chato / algae turf scrubber grows minimal and xenia is starting to stop growing ... My skimmer gets nasty quick ... lots of biologicals

Attached Files:

Spoon likes this.
  10. bayview

bayview Guest

nano and the 40g

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Spoon likes this.
  11. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Tank is looking good!
    Yes, blind dosing + few water changes is bad. Test kits are cheap.

12. bayview

bayview Guest

13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Not too shabby!

For the life of me I could never get coraline to grow well on rocks, always grew on plastic surfaces like the acrylic or on pumps, but not so much on rocks.

14. bayview

bayview Guest

I think it's because I have allot of uv leds ... at first the coral hated them but when I added more blue white led light ... the ratio was more correct ...

The Coraline, feather dusters, sponges, Xenia, and chato is key to keeping my nutrients low ...

15. bayview

bayview Guest

:):cool::D about to water change ... evening led lights on
    120.jpg left.jpg left2.jpg lright.jpg side.jpg

Spoon likes this.
  16. bayview

bayview Guest

The sand bed of he 120 was looking nasty nasty ... and xenia was starting to grow again ...

So I decided to take charge after ignoring for 6 months ...

I also wanted to change out the system to a newer ones with some of the previous faults fixed with the current tank removed ...

I was looking for a 5x2x2 but ended up with a 190 76x24x24 ... I had my father make a steel stand as the ones at the lfs looked iffy ... I also added to 25,000 pound floor jacks to the steal beam under the tank ...

Lost some of my oldest fish in the the transfer ... a 70+ head Duncan colony meleted in my holding tank taking out my powder brown, Salfin, and large purple dotty ... and damaging a few other corals ... so far everything likes the new tank ... also having my build my led serviced as I noticed some days it was dimmer than other ... I suspect a driver issue as I noticed the power supply was getting hot where I had it :p I also ordered a 12k custom super par 72" light I plan on using for the primary lighting ...

Attached Files:

17. bayview

bayview Guest

I also made time to drill my 40g and swap the led to a reef breeders value fixture ...

Attached Files:

• 40g.JPG
      40g.JPG
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  18. bayview

bayview Guest

So far I have added a rs300 sump with a reef Octopus 180 Skimmer, phosban 550 reactor with sea chem carbon and phosban. For returns I have a 3/4 sea swirl with a jeabo return set to 1000 gph ... and a 1/2 sea swirl on a 550gpg return pump ... returns are two 1" durso's that I somehow got to be silent with ease, after the initial gurgling.

The sand bed is now large grain crushed coral and currently just have two 500 gph power heads that I plan on swapping out to two wp 25's