High Tide Aquatics

The Ugly Tank

Mr. Ugly

Past President
I'm usually not much one for tank journals, but I finally got a display tank up again. I took down my 72 bowfront about 3(?) years ago and had been barely running a couple 2x4 frag tanks.

New tank is a 150 acrylic set up in place of the counter between the kitchen and dining room.

Still finishing off the cabinet and I'm running a couple bare Luminarc minis until I can fab up some kind of canopy.

Thanks to Doug, Ian, and Sam for the hookups on the tank, sump, and skimmer!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Cabinet has doors on both front and back. Glass doors on the dining room side. Wood doors on the kitchen side.

18.jpg

I don't go for a lot of tech on my setups. Skimmer, a couple heaters, a couple media reactors for carbon and phosphate remover, Eheim return pump, a couple Koralia 7's. I splurged on a BM doser, but haven't set it up yet.

9.jpg

10.jpg

pixelpixi said:
Thanks Erin!

seminolecpa said:
Sorry you are not allowed to post a tank with water in it until at least page 70 of your thread.
It would have been a 3 year long thread of parts collecting pics :D

Made some decent progress in the past couple weeks due to tweaking my knee and not being able to exercise much, haha.

I have an Eheim 1260 splitting to reactors, return, and bypass. I don't want a lot of turnover in the sump.

11.jpg

Also, I did a little trick in running a 3/4 return line up through the 1 1/2 drain.

There's not much room in the overflow, and I drilled it out for a single large bulkhead.

I didn't have room for another bulkhead, and I didn't want to run the return up the sides or back of the tank.

12.jpg

Mr. Ugly said:
Also, I did a little trick in running a 3/4 return line up through the 1 1/2 drain.

There's not much room in the overflow, and I drilled it out for a single large bulkhead.
Knock the drain noise down a little by default??? Not sure what else you have in the overflow.

Flooded standpipe drain would have been nice, but I went with a large noisy durso.

Tee to the right is a vent that goes up and back down to keep any spray and salt creep down inside the sump.

13.jpg

houser said:
Mr. Ugly said:

Knock the drain noise down a little by default??? Not sure what else you have in the overflow.

Yep, it did help the noise a bit with the 3/4 pipe taking up some of the volume in the overflow pipe, but I still had to play around with it. Way too noisy without the bypass on the Eheim.

seminolecpa said:
BTW it does look very nice.

Where are the sticks?
Thanks.

Sticks and sps were mostly victims of my demotivated reefer state.

All I have of those are a severely browned out hunk of true undata, brown sunset monti, and a handful of unrecognizable acro bases.

Accepting donations of Indo Superman and Ugly Prostrata :D

Tank is an old TruVu. Not too bad, except for the small openings on the top.

I polished out the scratches. Planning to get some Mighty Magnets and a polishing kit for the final touches.

I'm always taking a Skilsaw to my acrylic tanks, so this one was no different.

Laminated some 3/8" strips of acrylic to the top afterwards and routed everything.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

And the kritters.

Fungia from a swap way back. Grown from a pea sized baby.

The other fungia grew from a speck of flesh that was left when the first one popped off the IC gel.

And an elegance from Karson this past weekend.

DSCN2471-1.jpg

Always liked cynarinas.

Below it is a favia rosaria grown from a polyp that I got at Karl's frag swap charity fundraiser way back.

A MARS member got the original coral from Aquatic Gallery and put a frag in the swap for a rare item.

DSCN2472-1.jpg

DSCN2473.jpg

Neat orange and green colors.
DSCN2475-1.jpg

One of the first chalice that I ever got. From New Alameda.

DSCN2476-1.jpg

This guy tolerated shaded spots in dirty tanks :D

DSCN2478-1.jpg

Random stuff.

DSCN2483.jpg

DSCN2505-1.jpg

No frogfishes, but I have a couple of Robin's clowns in there. I still have a Tomini tang and an orange tail damsel to move from the frag system.

Back