Reef nutrition

The wyoming white saga

Thales

Past President
At MACNA I picked up a pair of wyoming white clowns. Cool.
They spend 3 days in a tank at a show and then flew home with me from New Jersey. We got back and they had lympho. I scraped after a week, but it came back so I decided to leave it be.
They are in a new tank in what was the ceph system.
Tonight, one of the clowns back half is discolored. I am thinking brook. Ech. I did a freshwater dip (fixed parameters first) and they came through it fine. The one with the discoloration ate within minutes of being put back in the tank.
Thinking of stopping by Hunters on the way home for some Formalin. Hope he has it, and I hope I don't need it.

Oy! Fish! Why do we do this to ourselves!

:D

Good deal, I've found the captive clowns to be pretty resistant to brook, they'll get downright ugly looking but seem to pull through with formalin dips just fine unlike their wild counterparts :)

Good luck!

Anyone that carries Kordon products, look for Formalin-3. The last stuff I bought I got from Pet Club, so you may want to check a box store if you can't find any at your LFS.

Depends on your time, if you have a bit of time I'd say qt, if your time is limited then go with dips. Formalin is tricky as it zaps O2 from the water and slows down nitrification, which IME leads to more water changes.

QT would be easy - 6 gallon eclipse with daily water changes from the the reeftank. Along with a dedicated airstone and air pump. In fact, I would rely on waterchanges as filtration. :D

Just trying to decide on hypo vs formalin...and of course waiting till I get home to see what the deal is.

Thanks!

I've never had much luck with hypo myself, I know other people have though so I don't want to discount it. The problems I've had are when the fish come out of hypo they start to break down again no matter how slow I go, again, that is just my experience.

That does not look like brook to me, I've never seen that. Is it on both sides? If it were parasitic you'd see slightly different patterns on either side.

Also, does it seem like the mobility has been stifled in that area?

I know what you mean. It looks kind of like the drawing in Wilkonson, but...

Mobility doesn't seem impacted at all, and its eating like a pig.

Did you get Katy's email at MACNA Rich? She'd be a good one to ask :)

I'll show Chad tomorrow and see what he says.

Back