Neptune Aquatics

Thinking of drilling used 30g

Found out what I thought I had was a 30g tall was actually a 20g tall .... Also it's cramped with little flow getting around to the back of the rocks ...

So I picked up a used 30g with stand for $75 that I'm going to refurbish add sump and move livestock to ...

First of all is this the right kit to get?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Overflow-Box-1200GPH-and-video-viewing-/280394416660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4148cf4214

More ?'s sure to come ...

Just did my first drilling on a 29g. A little bit of chipping, and a couple scratches where i let the bit slip, but not to shabby I'd say. Probably should have taken pictures before putting the bulkheads in, but I didn't think of that before gluing pipe to them, so too late now :(. I didn't use a drill press, but I bet it would have been very helpful. Check out glass-holes.com for a little video on drilling glass (turn off the sound). Be sure to put the dash into the website name... you probably don't want to see what comes up if you don't!

I practiced as well, good thing too. I decided to try it out on a scrap piece of 1/8 (maybe thinner) glass and cracked it half. I was putting way too much pressure on the glass. Have to let the drill do the work and resist the urge to push down on it. Remember you are grinding through the glass, not cutting.

Bondolo what did you use for a template?

Not_Now_John said:
Bondolo what did you use for a template?

Glass-holes.com included a template for the overflow. I wish they had included one for the return bulkheads. If I was doing it again I would make one out of 1 1/2" PVC.

I drilled two tanks in January, a 10G for practice and my 55G display tank. Drilling wasn't as scary as I though. If you need the bit for either 3/4" bulkhead or 1 1/2" bulkhead I can loan you mine. The bits are good for a dozen or so holes or about 2-3 inches thickness worth of drilling according to glass holes. A template to keep the bit from sliding at the start helps a lot.

1200GPH seems like a lot for a 30G tank. You should be shooting for 10-20X turnover with a reef tank or 5-10X for a FO or FOWLR tank. So the 600GPH (1" PVC) would seem adequate.

Glass-holes has a suction cup guide good for any size hole saw up to 3 1/4" now. Fairly decently priced, too. I did OK doing the tilt method on my 3/4" returns, although I do have a few teeny scratch marks.

Back