Neptune Aquatics

Thinking of getting a CaRX...

Corallus

Supporting Member
My tank is consuming a lot of Ca and Alk lately, especially after tossing in a couple of small deresa clams, and I'm thinking of going from dosing 2 part and kalk, to a Ca reactor. But they look tricky, especially because of the need for a continuous duty peristaltic pump which seems big and expensive. Does anyone have experience with this model which doesn't use one?: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-monzter-cm93-duo-internal-calcium-reactor.html?

If these suck, and I do have to find a decent peri pump, I still need something I can fit in my sump that has a pretty small footprint. I would love any recommendations you all may have, based on experience, for a reactor rated for a ~100 gal tank.

Thanks!

A lot of companies make CaRxs. I believe Lifereef makes one that is pretty small. As does Aquamaxx and Skimz.

You don't HAVE to use a peristaltic pump. Many feed from the return just like a reactor. But you might run into issues with clogging because you will need to reduce the flow somehow. Reducing just the diameter of the intake is not enough, a return flow rate pushing through a 1/4" is still pretty quick. CaRx feeds are more like a continuous drip. Which means you will need a needle valve which tends to clog. Using a good peristaltic pump does away with that.

I would say almost all, aquarium grade peristaltic pumps are not rated for continuous duty. Maybe the litermeter pumps are. I'm not sure.

And as @roostertech mentioned, you will need a CO2 source as well and that's another ball of wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are able to get masterflex peristaltic pumps used online for a few hundred dollars. That seems to be the gold standard out there, but don't know about which model to go with, or considerations of size and noise.

Excerpt from the mega thread on RC.

tkeracer619;22280260 said:
The pumps I prefer are the Digital Brushless units. In the brushless line the most commonly available units are model numbers 7523-60, 7550-30, 77301-20, and 77301-30. The 77301-30 controller is in a waterproof case. The rest of them will need to be kept free of moisture and salt creep as they are either in a modular (motor and controller separate) or a console (motor and controller in the same case).

If it is a modular system you can easily tell if it is brushless or not. The black ports circled in red are for the brushes. Brushless units will not have this.
ghu2.jpg

They have a couple other variations that change things such as cord length, operating voltage, color, and rpm range so don't let those model numbers necessarily be your only search terms. Often they are labeled as a Barnant if custom ordered. A simple phone call to Cole-Parmer can usually solve any questions you might have about an unknown pump.

Ideally for calcium reactors you are looking for the pump to be 6-600rpm. IME for most peoples applications we will be using LS17 tubing. It has a 1/4" ID and a 3/8"OD. Masterflex tubing comes in two types, precision and performance. Both will work as long as you have the proper head but we will focus on precision tubing since the tubing is more readily available. **You have to match the tubing to the head or the unit will malfunction.**

Pump heads vary. Standard load, easy load, quick load... ect ect. I prefer easy load heads but as long as you have the right size tubing any head is fine. They come in Cold Rolled Steel (CRS) and Stainless Steel (SS) variations. Both work but stainless are often in better shape. If you can get stainless go for it, if you can't don't let it keep you from getting a good drive.

Currently, expect to pay $350-$500 for the 7253-60.

There are a couple of newer generation pumps with the same characteristics. Currently mine is the same generation but has a PC out. I also have one that is 1 generation after with a nicer looking design case.

The noise difference between a brushed unit and a brushless unit is night and day. Depending on the brushes model, can be more like night at home sleeping and day around a construction site! There is a YouTube video showing the difference.

There are pros and cons to each method. I like 2 part because it's straightforward conceptually and you can adjust alk and ca independently and immediately. At some point as the dosing amount increases it becomes more expensive and time consuming to make up the solution. Carx has higher upfront cost and setup, but is lower maintenance in the long run and cheaper. And it doses trace elements.

@Kmooresf uses a CaRx and kalkwasser. I only intended on using a CaRx since introducing the kalkwasser introduces even more complexity but Kris seems to be able to do it effortlessly. His tank is pretty impressive. Not only was he getting great growth but also deep saturated colors.

I was planning on starting up my CaRx but maybe I'll start with kalkwasser and introduce the CaRx when it becomes needed.

There are pros and cons to each method. I like 2 part because it's straightforward conceptually and you can adjust alk and ca independently and immediately. At some point as the dosing amount increases it becomes more expensive and time consuming to make up the solution. Carx has higher upfront cost and setup, but is lower maintenance in the long run and cheaper. And it doses trace elements.

And there's the cool factor when you open up your stand to show off what's under the hood and there's a cylinder of compressed gas.

A reactor is better as you have more corals needs as dosing and refilling gets tedious unless you make 10 gallon jugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's a decent size tank that would probably need a CaRx over time as your Ca and alk needs exceeds what 2 or 3 part can handle. I don't mind 2/3 part dosing since I can dig into the individual numbers (tank uses way more alk than Ca). As for mixing and refilling, I don't find it too tedious, especially with a mixer from Amazon (add water, add in the mixture, turn it on and walk away for 5 minutes).

upload_2017-5-24_9-55-30.png

I'be been wrestling with this same question regarding my future, larger SPS tank. Right now I dose both my 120 gallon mostly LPS tank and the smaller SPS frag tank with 3-part. I'm thinking I don't want to do that when all the SPS moves to a new eventually. However, reactors are expensive and they take up a lot of room. My stand will be 30 x 30 and I don't know if I can fit it and a Co2 tank. I've never used Kalk. So it's one of the big questions I'm still wrestling with. I have talked to a few folks that keep gorgeous all SPS tanks though and they all use reactors -- albeit theirs are much larger.

Excerpt from the mega thread on RC.

Currently, expect to pay $350-$500 for the 7253-60.

There are a couple of newer generation pumps with the same characteristics. Currently mine is the same generation but has a PC out. I also have one that is 1 generation after with a nicer looking design case.

The noise difference between a brushed unit and a brushless unit is night and day. Depending on the brushes model, can be more like night at home sleeping and day around a construction site! There is a YouTube video showing the difference.

What Is the pc out? Hooks up to computer for control or data logging or something?

My tank is consuming a lot of Ca and Alk lately, especially after tossing in a couple of small deresa clams, and I'm thinking of going from dosing 2 part and kalk, to a Ca reactor. But they look tricky, especially because of the need for a continuous duty peristaltic pump which seems big and expensive. Does anyone have experience with this model which doesn't use one?: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-monzter-cm93-duo-internal-calcium-reactor.html?

If these suck, and I do have to find a decent peri pump, I still need something I can fit in my sump that has a pretty small footprint. I would love any recommendations you all may have, based on experience, for a reactor rated for a ~100 gal tank.

Thanks!
Ca rx is awesome concept. If you have the money to buy the right peristaltic pump and a nice (dual stage I think they are called?) co2 regulator then for sure it's a good way to go. Will provide trace elements along w replacing the 2 part dosing. It's not cheap to buy the nice parts, but neither is a nice 2-3 head dosing pump...or much of anything else worth having in this hobby. Someday I would like to run one, not ready for that level of investment yet, and like others have said, I like being able to adjust alk ca and mag separately if they get out of whack.

@Kmooresf uses a CaRx and kalkwasser. I only intended on using a CaRx since introducing the kalkwasser introduces even more complexity but Kris seems to be able to do it effortlessly. His tank is pretty impressive. Not only was he getting great growth but also deep saturated colors.

I was planning on starting up my CaRx but maybe I'll start with kalkwasser and introduce the CaRx when it becomes needed.
I guess I should just ask Kris, but why kalk and the ca rx?

What Is the pc out? Hooks up to computer for control or data logging or something?

Yes, it provides external control. But the connector is proprietary and probably uses a serial I/o. Never looked into it. The pump is essentially set it and forget it. And the set it part is just pushing 1-2 buttons.

Ca rx is awesome concept. If you have the money to buy the right peristaltic pump and a nice (dual stage I think they are called?) co2 regulator then for sure it's a good way to go. Will provide trace elements along w replacing the 2 part dosing. It's not cheap to buy the nice parts, but neither is a nice 2-3 head dosing pump...or much of anything else worth having in this hobby. Someday I would like to run one, not ready for that level of investment yet, and like others have said, I like being able to adjust alk ca and mag separately if they get out of whack.

Think with a good peristaltic pump and a carbon doser is good enough. Those fancy dual stage regulator is over kill , if you have your controller monitoring ph in the reactor you can shut down from a dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Back