thought i would share a video

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by Kremis, May 21, 2017.

1. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

just thought it would be cool to share this video of my 28 gallon nano at feeding time.

Peter B and JVU like this.
  2. Peter B

Peter B Inspector #6

Where'd you get those garden eels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kremis likes this.
  3. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

6th avenue aquarium, they were like 15$ each. the only other place i have seen them is aquatic collection, they get them like once a year. they are 24$ there.

4. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Those garden eels are neat. I've seen them in professional aquaria but not during feeding time! How deep does your sand bed need to be? Any other special needs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kremis likes this.
  5. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Kremis likes this.
  6. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Incredibly cool tank.

Kremis likes this.
  7. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

sand needs to be 4-6 inches. the eels will burrow horizontally once they reach the bottom. they are about a foot long each.
    thank you!

8. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

How long have you had them?

9. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

about a year, had one for a month longer than the other. was an impulse buy that ended up working out lol.

10. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

May they live long time!
    Definitely not a common sight.
    Best fishes n happy reefing

11. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Neat, I would keep one if I have thicker sand bed.

12. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

most people don't keep them because of the sand bed. that, and the fact that stores alnost never get them in. they are pretty hardy once acclimated, and eat almost anything. at first they were scared of mysis shrimp and clown gobies lol. it took them a month for them to get as comfortable as they were in the vid with the jawfish.

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

When I scapped my tank I made one section about 5" deep so that I could get a few but I haven't been able to find any.

14. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

I also read you have to feed them like 5 times a day! Would be tough keeping up with that and water quality in a reef tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

only place that frequently gets them is sixth avenue in SF, and even they dont have them that often. I dont know where you read you have to feed em 5 times a day. They have been getting 1x a day for a year lol. I am running a good protein skimmer on the tank. collection gets them like once a year, check here for a list of the fish they get https://www.facebook.com/Aquaticcollection/
    if you really want em i suppose you could get em here https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=647&cid=17

16. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Yeah, I've seen them online there at bluezoo but they are much more expensive than what you said you've found them locally for.

What's their favorite food that you've found?

Also, have you thought of trying the splendid ones again?

17. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

18. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

its more of the wholesalers dont get them as often i think, but im not completely sure. the splendids were finicky, they didnt eat much. if i come across one i will try it again, but they are even rarer than the spotted ones. they like brine and mysis, but at first the eel may be scared of the bigger pieces.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  19. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I don't know them. Are they on here?

20. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

they are the owners of aquatic collection