Cali Kid Corals

Thoughts on Canon IS lenses for top down photography.

Does anybody have any thoughts/experience with using Canon IS lenses for top down photography. With the 100mm IS lens being almost twice the price as the regular one, I'm having a tough time evaluating how useful IS will be for top down.

Thanks,
Erik

IS is especially useful for top dop. Macro shots tend to require tripods or VERY steady hands. IS is a boon for this since tripods and top down aren't typically compatible.

Just get your shutter speed up and worry less about camera shake. Also, as you snap more shots your technique improves and it's less of an issue.

Have the Nikon VR version of the 105mm VR and the VR is never on.

I don't think the IS will help all that much. Of course it will help, but I would just get the regular 100mm macro, and use that; I have it and is fine for top down photos. Learn to use the lens and camera, and you will yield great results. Unless you've got the money to burn.
3851346522_e95a22bb1c.jpg

3579682181_4fd3316ce7.jpg

3851341568_51585d8658.jpg

A_Lee said:
I don't think the IS will help all that much. Of course it will help, but I would just get the regular 100mm macro, and use that; I have it and is fine for top down photos. Learn to use the lens and camera, and you will yield great results. Unless you've got the money to burn.

Thanks.... I can think of a lot of better things to burn $500 on ;)

konkers said:
A_Lee said:

Like buying me a Vortech? :D

GreshamH said:
konkers said:
A_Lee said:

lets compromise. Buys each of us an MP10 and a lot of wine or beer?

Gomer said:
GreshamH said:
konkers said:
A_Lee said:

lets compromise. Buys each of us an MP10 and a lot of wine or beer?

Ohhhh, I like that!

Take a look at the article I wrote for Jim's magazine. It may be helpful.
http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/archives/vol_4/issue13/pages/12.htm

Thanks Ian,
I've had that copy sitting in my living room for a few weeks and have read through it a few times. Good read.

Cheers,
Erik

Back