Kessil

Thoughts?

He made it look far better than any other plumbed in frag tank I've seen, but I'll bet it still looks a bit like a science experiment to non-aquarists. I'm voting against this plan. At best make a matching stand so that you have the option of moving them apart, or hide the frag tank somewhere else like most of us.

I always found the frag rack in the display to be not all that ugly and highly practical (how else to better ease the transition than simply be in the same place as the parent). Then I discovered that my very non-demanding wife actually really disliked the frag rack in the display. After removing it to humor her I discovered that most of my non-fish keeping friends also liked it much more without. There's a common theme there.

Back to the topic though, didn’t he make it look good? It fits right in with his rsr.
Totally agree, but with this large of a stand footprint it should be possible to put a frag tank under the tank somewhere? Coral scrubs water better than macro algae anyway...

A fuge next to a display tank might look good.
Especially if water is the same height, and you build some sort of nice wood surround to enhance the gap between them.
So they both look like display tanks that were meant to be like that.
But I think a pile of equipment in a sump on display would look ugly.

A thought:
Display tank in center.
Fuge on one side, sump on other. With artwork/etc in front of these, so you don't really see them.
So it looks like a giant cabinet.

I built an 8 foot stand. Not that hard.

Back