got ethical husbandry?

Tile for spawning clowns

sid700

Supporting Member
Hello. I would like to put a piece of tile for my clowns to lay their eggs. Is there a special tile? Can I just use a regular kitchen tile? A piece of terra cotta? Any particular shape or size?

Also, what's the best way to attach the tile? Can I just glue it like a frag? I'm just concern that prying it out might be crack the tile. TIA.

Shouldn't need to glue it down like a frag. Just rest it against the rock or whatever.

As for material, just about anything inert will do (e.g. travertine).

travertine/marble is not what you want for various reasons, mainly due to some new studies as to what they may release. Use ceramic (terra cotta).

Does putting a tile in encourage spawning or does it just give them a place to lay their eggs? The rock my female clown picked and often cleans is removable and it is right by their anemone...s...anemones... So should I just let them use that or should I put a tile in?

It simply gives them a place Matthew :)

I'll try to dig it up Eric. I ran across it the other day. IIRC Radon was released from some marbles being used. Not sure how Radon reacts or works in saltwater though, or water for that matter.

The yellow/orange stuff sets a geiger counter off :D my pops said it's not too far off from yellow cake, it just needs to be enriched.

What was Tim, the radioactive part, or the radon part?

Uhm...time to pull those corals off the discs and chuck those travertine...

Anyone know where I can get some 2.5-3" ceramic discs?

Not ALL of it is radon tainted just some bad stuff I'm sure they fixed the problem by now. If it hasn't killed them yet maybe it'll just make them grow into a giant mutated type species.

"fix the problem"....you mean stopped using cheap and compromised sources? Extremely doubtful. America is all about the cheapest and quickest fixes. The rock market is not exactly "highly regulated" and a lot comes in under the radar so to speak.

Ibn said:
Uhm...time to pull those corals off the discs and chuck those travertine...

Anyone know where I can get some 2.5-3" ceramic discs?

Neptune aquatics has the 2" or 2.15" I think, that they special order for their own use. But they'll sell some to you if you ask them.

Went out today and grabbed 2 sizes of those orange-looking planter pots, one of the orange-looking planter pot discs, and a big tile that I can cut. Here are my questions:

1. Are those regular ceramic planting pots at Home Depot that I bought painted or just fired clay?
2. Which is better: a cut tile, or a pot?
3. Should I put a pot and a tile in so that they have a choice?
4. Anything in ceramic/clay pots that are bad for the water?

My clowns use a plant pot, ceramic; no painted ones.
I think since I have a six line wrasse, it helps the clowns guard the eggs better, the male stays inside most of the time and the female chases away the six in case it gets too close trying to snatch a yummy treat.

OK, to what end do you guys wish to "save" the eggs? From reading Fingerwrinkles posts in the past (and having gone to the meeting where he spoke about the topic) it's non-trivial to actually raise the eggs into actual clownfish. Are you guys ready for the commitment? My clowns also laid eggs recently, my wife was quite excited, but I had to tell her that the will probably just be fish food.

V

I'm in it for the long haul, Vince. Well, at least raising one batch. I think it would be good to show my kids how clownfish grow (science & biology), especially since they know about Nemo. This is also a good excuse to set up the 60-gal I have to house any surviving clowns and my two RBTA clones. I got a ten-gal tank ready and waiting plus rotifers in a 5-gal bucket. I'm aiming for a Mona-esque type tank!!!

I've tried harvesting (is that the correct word?) the fry several times, but I still had no success. Still trying though.

If I succeed, maybe I'll try cardinals and mandarins next (in the far, far-off future). :)

Plus, some single guys believe the babies are chick magnets ;-)

Back