Cali Kid Corals

Tips on fragging Acan Echinata?

finalphaze987

Supporting Member
I have a red/purple with orange mouths acan echinata im looking to throw into DBTC, but cant find a way to cleanly frag it. It has over 30 mouths so we'll be able to get some decent size frags out of it, but the base is over 2 inches! I was thinking a band saw would work decent as far as not having to cut through the mouths, but dont own one. Do you guys know anyone that might be able to frag something this thick? If not would you know the best way to frag this piece? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

163849_4.jpg

Fragging in the East Bay this weekend if you want help.

If you want to "cleanly" frag it, it ain't gonna happen. My advice, diamond wheel dremel (or norm's diamond tile saw :D), cut off the piece you want to give away, then frag that piece up into multiple pieces to minimize the "clunk" look of what you're keeping, it should heal up fine.

I haven't seen a freshly fragged Acan but I was under the impression that they were sort of polyp like so you could score it on the top and bottom with a dremel and then snap it. Is that correct or do the based tend to join?

We have a tile saw here but its pretty rusted up...(hasnt been used in years) ill check to see if it still works. Where in the east bay will you be fragging Mr.Ugly?

Alright, just checked the tile saw and its rusted to the point where i wouldnt even use it for tile...would anyone be willing to frag it for a generous cut of it? If not im sure i can frag my chalice with a dremel and post that up on DBTC

Grr, wish I weren't going skiing Saturday! I would've totally brought my acan. :D

What if you dremel the top and bottom, and then put a chisel to it? Would that work?

That can work, depending on how thick is the coral and rock.

Come over whenever if you need to frag stuff. Easy to do. Doesn't have to be Saturday.

I kinda prefer to razor or tear the tissue rather than saw it.

Less tissue destruction and slime generation.

I like to povidone dip afterwards while cleaning out the dust. Less gunk encouraging bacteria growth.

Haha... everybody has their own way. That's just how I like to do it. I could be all wrong :D

I figure corals in the wild get propagated by breakage, so I try to simulate that with the tearing/razor rather than abrading through a lot of tissue.

I vaguely recall reading about some corals doing better when fragged/propped that way.

ill try to make it out there on sat. Ill get def. get back to you and let you know. I need to see if the baby's staying with me or visiting the grandparents. Thanks

i also have a tile saw if that helps . Im in half moon bay . dont have much experience with fraging but have a very nice saw ( imer 200 combi saw). tried to post a pic but i guess im not smart enough . open to help if i can .

Dremel on both side and then a chisel works also, but it isn't as clean as with Norm's method. I've tried it on a moon coral before.

Thanks for the offer hooked, i think im going to take norm up on his offer and go see the master fragger at work..i just need to find out when i have a day off to go down there

anytime :) i have a ton of tools for, and misc. knowledge about cutting things as i am a "contractor" . or at least i play one in real life .

Back