Jestersix

Tired of long time to make up RO water? Too much wasted water?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Get a second RO filter!

I've had this for quite a while, but yesterday decided to see how much waste water I actually made by having the waste water go into a bucket (with a solinoid float switch), and another bucket the fresh stuff. Sure enough when the waste water bucket was full, the fresh bucket was half full. That's a load better than the 4:1 ratios you often get with a single filter.

Nothing special is necessary either, only requirement is you have water pressure in the 60PSI (or more) range, I already had a booster pump because my water pressure is normally 40 or lower, so it was no big deal for me. Then simply plug the waste water of your first filter into the input of your second, and hook the second one to the flow restrictor like the first one had. Voila, less waste water, even though I do waste to the yard, as the rainy season hits that's not exactly terribly helpful! Best of all too, I essentially double my production speed too!

Anyways, just felt like sharing, not exactly new knowledge but sometimes recycling old stuff is useful to people who've never heard about it.

Mike that is no different than running two RO membranes with the second RO membrane running from the waste water from the first.

Back